HIV Prevention Community
Scared with shingles again, HIV

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Scared with shingles again, HIV

Hi, please help me. I had a possible exposure to HIV in 2011. It was a one time regular sex, no condom with a man (I am a woman).  I have no reason to believe that he is positive. Three months after that I developed shingles (I am in my late 30's). After reading about shingles, I had a HIV rapid test done by TKNO. This was 3 months plus several days after the exposure. I tested negative and was assured that I was fine. Fast forward one year and I have shingles again. My dermatologist told me (but he did not take a swab). The spot is less than the size of a dime and I have no pain. My last occurrence was the same as this one but in a different spot. I followed up with my primary who said it doesn't look like shingles to him but he went ahead and did regular bloodwork (thyroid, white/red blood, cholesterol) and completed a physical while I was there.

I don't have that bloodwork back yet. My question is, if it really was shingles then should I be worried that I have HiV or was the HIV test I already had done  proof enough that I'm fine?  I have not been promiscuous EVER since then and am 100 % positive that is the only time that I could have been infected. I'm worried because of all the HIV/Shingles info that pops up. I am healthy otherwise except from Sept thru Mid November I was under extreme stress (family/work) and barely slept. Sometimes not for days at a time, could this have caused the shingles?  Thank you ahead of time.
You don't have an HIV concern. Shingles are not HIV specific.
Thank you for your quick reply. It actually makes me feel better as I have followed many of your posts over the last week.