HIV Prevention Community
Semen contact

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Semen contact

Hi there,

Have read through the postings and the archives and I must say they provide very valuable insides...

However, I have some personal experience that seem a little different, maybe you can help me out? I m a 26yo gay chinese dude. I have had a few sexual experiences over the past month wtih different individuals. Of which I do not know their HIV status. But I alwlays insist on protected anal fun... (Not gonna put my life at risk for a lil fun.)

But a few times, they pulled out and came on my stomach. I fear some of the semen might have leaked from my stomach/groin down back into my rectum... Whenever that happens(or I think), I would clean it up immediately...

1. Would there be a risk involved?

2. Should I get tested because of this risk?

3. I know this is far fetched, but can a minute amount of semen cause an infection?

yes..assuming you have ask your partners about their HIV status, I'd say you have no real risk of HIV transmission, because if a condom is used effectively, it is 100% effective.  Even if small amount of semen does drip down to your anus, it is highly improbable that you will acquire HIV that way, because, one, the semen would have to have HIV in it, and two ENOUGH of the semen would have to be inserted inside of your rectum.

but Doc. Handsfield will tell you that all gay/bi men should be tested every 3 months, and not just once a year.

-WorriedUS
No risk from them coming on your abdomen (I would guess the actual chances of enough semen running from your stomach to your anus are remarkably slim). However, you're not asking their HIV status? What if they're positive, and the condom breaks? That seems like a remarkably bad strategy. Look, it takes just a second to ask, it's a reasonable question, and it can improve your own chances of safety.

And you should get tested at least once a year for HIV; all sexually active people should.
Thanks guys,

I went for the test and came out negative...

And I asked that guy if he was negative... He said he is negative and always practise safe sex...

that encounter was about 3-4 weeks ago...