HIV Prevention Community
Semen into Rectum Through Sex Toy

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Semen into Rectum Through Sex Toy

Greetings,

I went to a massage parlor a few days ago in China and wonder whether it was an exposure to HIV. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Here are what happened:

(1) The CSW gave me a happy ending. She used a bottle to hold lubricants which according to her were made of milk and baby oil. The lubricant felt warm when it got onto my body.

(2) The lubricant bottle was shared among the CSWs in the parlor. She went out to get the bottle right before she gave me the hand job. It is possible that the outside of the bottle had semen or pre-ejaculate fluid from other customers, as the other CSW could have used it for other custmer right before and touched it with other people's semen on hands, and thus contaminated it.

(3) The CSW squeezed the lubricant (made of milk and baby oil) onto my penis and anal. She started the hand job. I am afraid her hands might have semen of other customers from the bottle outside.

(4) She took out a vibrator from a box (I am certain it has not been used for the last 30 minutes, if not longer). She sprayed some disinfecton onto the vibrator and wiped it with tissue before she put a condom (not sure about the quality and raw material of the condom) over it.

(5) She then inserted the vibrator into my anus (probably one inch deep) for 30 seconds. I am afriad along with the vibrator, some lubricants (milk + baby oild) contaminated with semen from other custmers might have gotten into my anal.

(6) 30 minutes BEFORE the session, I went to number two. After I wiped my anal with toilet paper, I saw a little blood on the tissue, as I did it too hard. I do not usually have anal fissure or hemorrhoid. I do not know whether that cut in the anal might increase the risk.

(7) I am afraid since milk has a similar ph level as human body, it might provide an ideal environment for HIV to sustain. Also, I am afraid the baby oild might have "shielded" the HIV+ semen from exposure to air.

Please kindly assess my risk for this potential exposure, assuming  the semen on the bottle might come from a HIV+ customer. Thanks everyone!!!

Condom protected dildos are safe.handjobs are also safe. Air renders the virus non infectious
Dildos are safe even without condoms.
Thanks joggen, my concern is that the vibrator also brought into my rectum the lubricant (milk + baby oil) which might have contained other client's HIV+ semen which were covered by the oil and milk (unexposed to air).
does it increase the risk?
No.
There is no evidence that people have been infected by sharing a dildo, but it is theoretically possible. If sharing a dildo, why not use a new condom each time? Isn't better to be safe than sorry? I have never personally used dildos on myself or others, but I would definitely not put something inside me that has been inside someone else, especially if that something is an anus which we know it has more likelihood to bleed. Lets not forget also that not all dildos are built the same. Some are smooth through out while others may have ridges and other features that might give infected blood a tiny bit of protection from air. This is my opinion. Having been freaked out by a handjob exposure which I now know is no risk, and having attended now various hiv prevention seminars, I feel more awareness to the risks involved. For all I know you might be right in that you don't need a condom when sharing sex toys, but me personally will never again gamble with my life even if the chances are slim to none. That's all I have to say about that.
No it is not theoretically possible.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV---Prevention/Sex-Toy/show/503148

This will be my last post as i have no need to stay in this squabble.

Dr Hook wrote this on- April 26, 2008
See link above.

While there is a theoretical risk of HIV or STD acquisition if a sex toy is immediately used in sequence between partners, the risk is low.  The reasons I say this are, for starters, the usual ones- that odds are your partner did not have HIV or STD and that you only had a single exposure (your highest risk exposure was the insertion of the dildo into your rectum).  The risk is actually lower than that however since HIV and STDs because STD pathogens survive poorly outside the body so that even brief exposure outside the body further reduces your risk of transmission.  

In summary, this was a low but not no risk exposure.  Testing is reasonable but I would not worry too much. Gook luck.  EWH
Thank you for your reply. Do you mind taking a look at the follow-ups?

(1) I was afraid that the milk provided an ideal environment for the HIV semen to survive. Since the bottle was brought in right before the session, it was likely that some fresh semen were still on it, and were covered by lubricants (not being exposed to air, not dried, and thus still active).

(2) Does the warmth of the bottle help render the virus inactive? The lubricant felt warm on my body, so it had a temperature that was slightly higher than body's. (which might render the virus inactive?)
Ignore joe147 - he is not educated about HIV and has no business posting here- and listen to what Dr. Hook told you.
Thank you joggen. I appreciate any help and input from fellow participants.

Dr. Hook wrote "the virus does not survive ourside of the body" in his reply. Does it mean that he changed his mind? I remember reading some of his posts that the virus will die within minutes upon exposure to air. Is he saying that once virus gets out of body, it dies?

Thanks again!
HIV is not infectious outside the body, you had no risk, and if you cannot accept that, get off the internet and seek professional mental help.
Huh?

That's the same thing...he's saying that the virus cannot remain active outside of the body.  The exact length of time it takes for the virus to be rendered COMPLETELY inactive is up for debate, and depends on the environmental factors.

The important thing to remember is that the PROCESS of the virus breaking down and becoming inactive begins immediately upon exposure to the elements, rendering it unable to infect others.

NOTHING you posted would constitute a risk.

In this forum we discuss REAL risks not theoretical risks that don't happen in the real world. That's what we go by. If nobody has ever been infected in the world by sharing sex toys in the 30 years of the HIV epidemic, we don't increase the poster's anxiety by suggesting that it's possible. Your advice is only serving to increase the original poster's anxiety needlessly, and confuse him.
Hi nursegirl,

Thank you so much for your patience and understand. Please allow my very last follow-up.

I understand that the virus cannot live upon exposure to air. For that to happen, the drying of semen cells needs to take place. However, if the semen is ejaculated directly into lubricant, there would be no drying (within 5 minutes). Can the virus still be rendered inactive in 5 minutes????

Thank you again. This will really be my last question.
Not that I think someone ejaculated into the lubricant, but just wanna be sure that even if some semen on the outside of bottle were not exposed to air (not dry, covered by milk and baby oil), it would still be safe. Thank you.
* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusively negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusively negative results or a no-risk situation will be based upon the criteria established by MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.