HIV Prevention Community
Sensitivity of HIV blood tests

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Sensitivity of HIV blood tests

What is the sensitivity of the ElISA blood tests for HIV? I have taken the test years after my high risk exposure but have a hard time believing it. Is it 99.7% (according to Wikipedia)? What is a more accurate test?
If you test negative anytime after 3 months post exposure, you do not have an HIV concern.
Then how do you explain the much less than 100% accuracy?
You on chemo, taking antirejection drugs or an organ transplant or an IV drug user that shares works with other drug users?
No. How is that relevant? I am saying I had a high risk exposure how can I be sure I do not have HIV?
That is the 3% that may take long that 3 months. You do not have an HIV concern.

http://www.cdc.gov/globalaids/Resources/pmtct-care/docs/TM/Module_6TM.pdf
Page 11
#4
  In an adult, a positive HIV antibody test result means that the person is infected, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results