HIV Prevention Community
Shared pipe for pot

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Shared pipe for pot

I shared a pipe with two guys to smoke some marijuana, and earlier I had been biting my bottom lip a bit, but I did'nt taste or see blood. Am I at risk for HIV ? I know this might be stupid question, and it's probably fine, but I just want to make sure with someone who knows more than me.

That scenario can make you high, not HIV postive.

What a scenario!!

You were not at risk. REALLY!!

R.A  
thanks, that calmed me down. I know that those guys hang out with and do drugs with a guy that has HIV and Hep C. I was pretty worried. :P One other question, I noticed a little redness on two areas of the mucous membranes of the upper shaft, and after masturbating the areas bled slightly, is that normal if you masturbate a few times a night ? I heard it's just normal damage but not sure.
the pot is making you paranoid. smoke less or a lot more...
You're thinking to much. Both HIV and Hep C are bloodborne diseases. You are not going to get infected unless you have sex or share needles to inject drugs.
Haha actually it was the pot making me paranoid, it does that to me sometimes. The whole time I was high all I could think about was HIV and Hep C for some reason. Thanks for your posts, it helped me through a paranoid trip.  :P
I was wondering, when you have been infected with HIV for a few months to a year, are any glands in your body always swollen ? I finally got the courage for a HIV test last week, and while waiting for the results I'm trying to ask questions that will make me feel a bit more hopeful about the results. Basically a lot of random paranoia, so thanks for your patience.
No and more than not most people don't have swollen lymph nodes that have HIV. I've never had a swollen lympth node.
When HAARP first came out were you skeptical on the thought that the HIV could possibly be erradicated within three years?
My friend has HIV, and he came into the room we were partying in, and he had some information printed on a possible cure for HIV in development. I really hope that there is some truth to that. I do believe there are many cures out there for diseases and viruses that are being unreleased so that the companies that produce drugs to alleviate symptoms of diseases can harvest more money. If they have found, or are currently finding a cure for HIV, I hope that they release it immediately. Nobody deserves to go unhelped with an illness like that.
This sounds  a lot like my post about taking a joint from an HIV piositive man.
The CDC site is actually scary, because while it lists saliva under non-infectious fluids, it also says
that infectious fluids include "any fluid that has blood in it." It also makes reference to the entry of HIV through open wounds, which can be confusing.

It does not refer to what could happen if there were semen in saliva.

I asked this question of both Teak and Dr. Mansfield on the medical forum.
Neither of them had the slightest concern, but I took an HIV test at 4 weeks;
one that looks for virus. I get results Friday, I think.

It's not a concern.
Hey Teak. Just curious. If there is no concern for myself or this person posting now, why does the CDC say any fluid with blood in it IS a concern?

The Dr. on the other forum ( do you ever read it?), says that there has to be a VISIBLE amount of blood from an infected person to make any difference. Viruses, blood cells,etc, are microscopic in size, and most sites will say just a small amount has concentrated HIV. So, why do you think
he says it has to be a visible amount?

Finally, is there no known case on record of anyone receiving HIV in this sort of situation?
I know it's always said that sharing utensils, etc, is no risk, and I would think that would be with the possiblity of open wounds in mind. But sometimes people write general statements without
noting exceptions directly afterwards.
You were never at risk, PERIOD.. Move on.
I'm actually extremely calm right now, but is it possible to give even a couple of answers to these,
for the benefit of people here in general?

I can't believe you gave such a fast reply. Thank you!!!   :)
Go, keep smoking pots, you won't get HIV in this fashion but cancer's guaranteed !
To everyone, just Teak expected, I'm negative! The testing center said that for the test I had, over 4 weeks had passed, and it was enough time to be confident that I was truly OK.
I didn't re-check the name of the test, but I recall something about EDTC whole blood count. It didn't say ELISA that I could see. I used to do ELISAs in school; I have a bachelors and masters in biology. Of course, that doesn't make me a virologist or doctor, but it helps with understanding some things.

So, to Too Many Ideas, if I'm OK, you'll be OK. I DID bite my lip until I drew blood! A LOT!!!
But I'm fine. I'm not going to worry any more. I'm just going to take care of myself and be grateful.

To Mike_no, I didn't want to get into this but, I have to say, your comment, whether true or not, seems akin to kicking people here when they are down. Most people who come here looking for answers are anything from concerned, to outright terrified. I didn't call myself Too Scared To Eat for nothing. Your personal opinion, which sounded like a dig, on cancer was not asked for, and should probably be left to the cancer forum. Why would you want to chastise anyone while they are terrified for themselves? Are you trying to punish people?

There are medical doctors who actually advocate the prescription of marijuana under certain circumstances. Furthermore, not that I have to defend myself, but you made commentary based on some broad assumption that this is a problem for me. I took one drag this past July. Prior to that, I took one drag in the winter of 2007, two drags in 2002 before that, and my last toke before that was back in 1993!! I got tired of the stuff early in life. I may save myself for Amsterdam now, but that's about it! I also have never smoked cigarettes. Now THOSE are killers.

If you look at how cancer works, it stands to reason that if people lived long enough, we would all eventually all get cancer. There are too many contributors, known and unknown, controllable and uncontrollable. It's simply a matter of the rewriting of DNA ( and perhaps RNA) with enough accumulated mistakes to start uncontrolled growth to occur. Just as copies of copies come out inferior on a copy machine over time, there comes as point where the billionth copy or so of a DNA chain will not be of the high quality that it was when you were much younger.

One significant study was well publicized years ago, where many male who died in their 70s almost all had some stage of prostate cancer which had never been detected.

If you live long enough, you'll get something;very likely cancer. And between cigarettes, pollutants, food additives and pesticides and genetics, I see pot as the least likely culprit; maybe unless you smoke two packs a day like some people do cigs.