HIV Prevention Community
Sharing a drink

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Sharing a drink

Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum thing, but i would really appreciate replies from anyone who has a answer for me.  Last week i went to a party and drank a drink a few minutes after someone else had drank from it.  I thought it was mine for a quick second, i only took one sip.  I don't know if this person has HIV and I don't remember having any sores or cuts in my mouth at that time.  I know HIV cannot be transmitted through saliva and only blood, so if I did have a cut and there was blood in that drink would i be at risk of contracting HIV?
Noooooooo risk.
Thanks for the quick reply, I had one more question.  As you sound confident in your reply I was wondering where the misconceptions about blood from a surface in this case the can of the drink or the liquid itself can enter the cuts/sores of the other person causing them to possibly contract HIV.  Back in health class and even now amongst my college peers a lot of people believe that this is possible.  From your response i get a feeling that this is just a complete misunderstanding, and from your name (nursegirl6572) I take it that i should listen to you over health class/college peers.  Can you clear this up a bit.  Thank you.
I hope your health class wasn't recent. If it was, print out this thread and show it to your principal, so your health teacher can be fired.

it was not that recent.  but the problem is that most people my age-18- believe that having a cut in your mouth and than drinking/sharing something with HIV blood can lead to contracting HIV...this is just from talking to people my age, this was the reason i posted the question in the forum but i guess this is not true at all
Any virus from a drink that _somehow_ had blood in it would be rendered non-infectious, both from dilution and from the hostile environment (pH, temperature, etc.) of the drink itself.
It's because "some"  people of your age group lack the education in HIV and STD transmission.
is there a website/brochure that is really good for such information.  Basically I just want an accurate answer for people who are not well educated-like myself-so we can become well educated.
aidsmeds or the body.