Short Vaginal Exposure
Dear Forum, worried in Hong Kong.

The other night I had sex with sex worker.  After a little fooling around, I proceeded to put a condom on for sex.  That was going well but i lost my erection.  For some STUPID reason, I took my condom of, my sexual activity took over my better judgement. I put my penis in her vagina for a few short thrusts...this must have lasting no longer then 15 seconds - as soon as I came to my senses, I withdrew, knowing I had done something very foolish.  The worker gave me oral sex to 'finish the job'.  Now, releasing that I had amde a mistake, I proceeded to ask her whether she was HIV positive or not - she said NO and she was more worried about me. She went to say that she was tested a year ago, this is her job, she always uses condoms and has two kids so why screw up her life. All sensible I know.

I went to the emergency hospital and luckily you can pay for PEP treatment out here...so I did. All the doctors and HIC specialist, said that my risk is very low and normally they would not advise PEP but seeing as though I was paying for it, they thought it would give me peace of mind.  One the HIV health workers said that she cannot remember a case where a male getting HIV of a women in one exposure.  She said it was more common in repeated exposures over a longer period of time,  She said given the fact that I used a condom was a good start....but she told me not to worry. I also phoned a UK hotline Terrance Higgens Trust who gave a stronger view as to not to worry - they said I shoud be more worried about other STDs that are more common....

what does the forum think that bar from me being a complete Idiot, Whats your view on the risk and did I make the right decision to take PEP...

Many thanks for you advice in advance,
The fact that she had condoms with her is a very good sign. And yes, a 15 second episode would be very low risk . The odds were very much in your favor. PEP is only used in very high risk situations. Your encounter wouldn't qualify for PEP.
When did this happen ?
I don't know if you completed or not, but get tested 3 months after your last dose.
Thanks Republic - this happened late at 2am on Tuesday morning - took my first tablet yesterday evening