HIV Prevention Community
Short Vaginal Exposure

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Short Vaginal Exposure

Dear Forum, worried in Hong Kong.

The other night I had sex with sex worker.  After a little fooling around, I proceeded to put a condom on for sex.  That was going well but i lost my erection.  For some STUPID reason, I took my condom of, my sexual activity took over my better judgement. I put my penis in her vagina for a few short thrusts...this must have lasting no longer then 15 seconds - as soon as I came to my senses, I withdrew, knowing I had done something very foolish.  The worker gave me oral sex to 'finish the job'.  Now, releasing that I had amde a mistake, I proceeded to ask her whether she was HIV positive or not - she said NO and she was more worried about me. She went to say that she was tested a year ago, this is her job, she always uses condoms and has two kids so why screw up her life. All sensible I know.

I went to the emergency hospital and luckily you can pay for PEP treatment out here...so I did. All the doctors and HIC specialist, said that my risk is very low and normally they would not advise PEP but seeing as though I was paying for it, they thought it would give me peace of mind.  One the HIV health workers said that she cannot remember a case where a male getting HIV of a women in one exposure.  She said it was more common in repeated exposures over a longer period of time,  She said given the fact that I used a condom was a good start....but she told me not to worry. I also phoned a UK hotline Terrance Higgens Trust who gave a stronger view as to not to worry - they said I shoud be more worried about other STDs that are more common....

what does the forum think that bar from me being a complete Idiot, Whats your view on the risk and did I make the right decision to take PEP...

Many thanks for you advice in advance,
Tags: vaginal
The fact that she had condoms with her is a very good sign. And yes, a 15 second episode would be very low risk . The odds were very much in your favor. PEP is only used in very high risk situations. Your encounter wouldn't qualify for PEP.
When did this happen ?
I don't know if you completed or not, but get tested 3 months after your last dose.
Thanks Republic - this happened late at 2am on Tuesday morning - took my first tablet yesterday evening