HIV Prevention Community
Sore glands under jaw, no sore throat. ARS??? Please Help!

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Hi I have been tested at 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months after a possible hiv exposure. All results came back negative.

Shortly after the 6 month period I started getting sharp pains under my jaw on the one side for a month, then on the other side for another month. How ever I have had no sore throat and no fever. Now all the glands on both sides of my throat are sore, but not swollen. I have read a lot on swollen glands being an early symptom of hiv, but I am not clear on what sore glands with no sore throat means. None of my lymph glands feel enlarged. Is it possible these symptoms could be ARS?

The whole time I figured it was just a bacterial infection that would go away, but it still hurts. I started looking at web sites related to infection saliva glands (this is where the pain is) and to my surprise and fear I found that infected saliva glands can be due to hiv infection. Does anyone know anything about this? It seams strange as I have had a 6 month test, but I am scared as it started just after the results came back.

My doc has taken a blood test today for an over active thyroid gland, but I doubt that is what is causing it because the pain is under my jaw, not under my thyroid gland. Does anyone know what could be causing this pain? It has been going on for over 2 months. I am clear from hiv due to my 6 month negative test, or do I need to be retested? I am getting scared. Please help me.
Keep working with your doctor. It has nothing to do with HIV.
Thanks for your comment Teak, I really respect your opinion. On one hand I am happy as I have a 6 month negative test but on the other hand I am really scared as these symptoms seem really strange with no sore throat. I take comfort in knowing that I have no sore glands any where else on my body. But I still am scared because these symptoms came on after my final test. So do you think i don't need to get retested for hiv?
No, you don't need further HIV testing.
Thanks Teak, can I just ask you one more question. Do you think it has nothing to do with hiv because it came on too late, or because it doesn't sound like hiv due to no other symptoms?
The length of time and the pain. There is no pain with swollen lymph nodes due to HIV and your symptoms came on way to late and you didn't have any other symptoms.
Thanks for letting me know the pain in my neck glands are not due to hiv. You are very smart. Would you have any idea as to why the saliva glands under my jaw are so sore? I am guessing it is a bacterial infection, but my doctor disagrees.
I have got swollen lymph nodes in my neck at 5 places...and there is no pain associated with ot...i have got my both feet swollen...again no pain...i am going for 6 week test on tuesday..had 22 days test negative..
Do you have any other symptoms? Good luck with your 6 week test.
I had some mild sore throat on the 4th week...i had some kind of muscular pain on the 3rd week..mild night sweating(according to me due to anxiety)..my std doc said i dont need to worry..i am on psy pills..cause i went crazy...lol...now i am calm..tx for the wishes
From the research I have done, the lack of a fever is evidence against your symptoms being due to hiv. I had a ripper of a sore throat around week 8 and I have been tested negative at 6 months. Ask Teak, I'm sure he will say the same thing.
I know this has nothing to do with this forum, but from a bit of research I think I have figured out what the pain under my jaw is... a salivary stone in my submandibular glands. Probably caused by stress. Do you think this sounds right Teak? I know your not a doctor, however you are very wise.
See a doctor for your concerns.
lolol...a salivary stone in my submandibular glands?   i'm sorry...it's just that the computer has spawned a world of anxiety.   what happend to the day when you felt bad...felt something...and you just went to the doctor to find out you had something as simple as an ingrown hair?  now we have a salivary stone in the submandibular gland.   i am NOT making fun of YOU fred...it's just that i find this kind of amusing...the whole self diagnosing thing.

i wish you well and hope that in the future, that you will remain safe :)
I have gone to the doctor, I am awaiting the blood results. I thought I would use the internet to do some research of my symptoms while I wait. Do you even know what a submandibular gland is? It is the saliva gland under my jaw where I have been having sever pain for 2 months due to it being infected. I am sure I am right because I have taken antibiotics and the pain vanished.

Check out this link http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23069166/  

You might learn something, instead of making unintelligent comments about ingrown hairs.
the ingrown hair was just an example.   you failed to see the point of my post.   really had nothing to do with you and everything about ppl diagnosing themselves on the internet.
I got your point. I took it personally as you posted your general comment on my thread. My question was directed to Teak... not you. I don't think your comment was apt.
hey fredfunk
did you have a feeling of blocked ears something like fluid blocked in your ears, I have a similar situation like you described above in your orginal post, thought i was on the clear but now anxious
i have a weird pain in my jaw i would describe that as" not pain but sore feels like someone has punched me and I am recovering from that" please advise when you get a chance
Look at the date of this thread.