HIV Prevention Community
Sperm Risk

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Sperm Risk

This maybe an odd question. And I know it isn't practical. But please don't tell me no risk just because you think my risk isn't real because it is as I have an HIV+partner... (we are both gay males)

My first question is, even though you say when HIV hits the air that it dies. But how is this possible for sperm?? It's so thick couldn't the HIV in the sperm in the middle of load that doesn't hit the air officially still infect you? Like if you *** on the out side of some one's anus and it just stays there and goes or in a woman's vagina that has to be a real way of getting infected correct??

So please let me know that answer for further situations. Secondly here is my risk so my partner who is HIV positive cummed into a damp napkin, I later cut my self on the tip of my finger and usually his *** dries fast when it just in the air or on the sheets. But this time his *** which was on the napkin was in kind of an air tight baggy and then I used the stupid napkin to wipe my cut and later realized that it was damp because of the *** :(... Is this a risk??

Also one time while I was on the bottom the condom broke while he was in me. I had an RNA pcr done at 10 weeks and a ELISA done at 13 weeks and they were both negative. Am I conclusively negative?

I am not so paranoid about HIV as much as others because I love my partner but would still prefer to stay HIV-.

Thanks for the help,
Joe
sorry i forgot to add that I had a exactly 5 weeks after exposure preceded but a sinus infection that's kind of random don you think??
???
can some please help im just sitting here waiting
Next time your partner goes for labs go with him so you can rest assured you haven't had a risk.
What do you mean??? Do you mean I should be tested??

Thats fine. I'm curious what you think about the napkin risk specifically? Can sperm still infect some one a few hours later or even a day later if its in an air tight condition like a condom or bag??

also do you sitll consider 3 months for conclsuive for my case given im not a drug user and in good health??
3 months is conclusive
ok thanks... but i kinda wanted to here teaks response... Teak what is conclusive and what about the sperm duration of life?
Teak has said 1,000 times on here 3 mos is conclusive and I am 1000% sure that is what he will say again.  Now you do bring up an interesting point on the napkin because clearly not all semen is exposed to the air as you mention.  I am interested to see Teak's response on that.
hiv cannot live outside it's host PERIOD.  

3 months IS CONCLUSIVE.
You can take Lizzie Lou's answer to the bank!  Thanks Lizzie!!!
I certainly don't fit into this category but your response above made me ask a question I cannot answer.  If HIV cannot live outside it's host why is needle sharing a risk?  The reason I ask is that if blood and/or the virus goes from one person to a needle it is now outside its host. The next person comes along (within seconds) and injects with the same needle this is very high risk.

I guess the question is whether or not the blood/virus is considered outside the host while on the needle only?

I have recently come to terms (I think) with my negative status but I am now very very interested in this subject and becoming more knowledgeable so I can help others who deal with this.
This is the exact reason I'm concerned is I think if the sperm was in air tight conditions it could have survived up to a couple hours later correct because it was still damp??? Or am I missing something here?
???
please!
First off you didn't have a risk and second you have a conclusive negative test result.
ok so no matter what in a real world situation not some cdc laboratory even if the sperm is kept in a moist air tight area it cant infect people an hour later or beyond??? Just clarifying and thanks for your response Mr. Teak!!
or maybe some one else with some insight??? teak u too :)
some one please answer!!!

If infected *** just hit a small wound on your finger, just like the size of a pin hole and there a is a little bit of blood coming out and you wipe the blood away with a towel and there is fresh sperm on there is it a risk?
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ! ! !

Im guessing if u thought i was actually at risk u would tell me huh???
MOVE ON