HIV Prevention Community
Stepped in Blood; Day Care, Child

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Stepped in Blood; Day Care, Child

I had a quick question, I picked up my child from daycare, and as I was getting my child ready to go, I noticed a red spot on the carpet. Concerned that it was blood, tried rubbing my foot into it to see what it was which I then decided was a stupid idea. What if my child came in contact with it?My question is that if it was blood, I could not tell, would I or my 16 month old be at risk?  I am trying to decide whether to call the pediatrician, or what options I should take. I appreciate the help. Being a parent/husband adds to the nervousness.

Thank you.
Not an HIV concern.

HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.
So I should not worry about myself or child for HIV infection? No risk for either of us? No need for testing or ER for prophylactics?
No you don't need to worry about HIV.
Last question, if you don't mind. It is a no risk situation for my family if any blood or HIV was tracked into my house from my footwear from the above situation or whatever? Such when my wife was bear foot and walked where I did? Thank you again.
NO RISK.