HIV Prevention Community
Stereotypical HIV question

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Stereotypical HIV question

Okay I know this is going to sound repetitive. You guys have gotten this question probably thousands of times at this point. I also know attempting to look up symptoms on the internet can cause a great deal of fear, because every symptom seems to point to the worse possible conclusion.

I am getting an HIV test at some point after the holidays. But for the mean time I need some peace of mind because this is driving me crazy, to the point where I cant get through a day without worrying.

Back in October, I gave unprotected oral sex to a guy I just met. He claimed he was negative, which I believed at the time. I had asked him a month and a bit after all this and he still says he believes he is negative. This act lasted less then five minutes. It was brief.

About a month after this encounter I developed an incredibly sore throat as well as swollen lymph nodes which appeared just before the sore throat disappeared after a week and a bit. These lymph nodes slowly began to go down after a month but come December, I got another sore throat. This one was much more mild and it accompanying by a wet cough and a very runny nose. My lymph nodes in my neck immediately swelled back up. I am just getting over this cold but I feel incredibly scared.

I feel like I am causing myself some of these symptoms. As the day goes on I feel fine until I start thinking about HIV, then I feel terrified. I burnt myself at work a few weeks ago but I thought it was a "hiv rash" until I realized it was just the burn. Even my acne problem that I have had for years is coming of as a symptom to me.

Could my current symptoms be HIV or is it possible I just caught two bad seasonal colds?
Oral sex is not a risk.