HIV Prevention Community
Straw question

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Straw question

If someone lets just say had bleeding gums and has the virus, and chewed on a straw that I was going to use, what are the chances of infection if I chose to use the straw to drink. If No or Low risk, can someone tell me why? I believe that the virus can't live long outside the body, but lets just say the person chewed the straw around 1 minute and I use it after.
"you could swallow a tablespoon of infected blood with only a small chance of transmission."

So if that person had bleeding gums, hypothetically speaking it can't go anywhere as far as 1 tablespoon, and having it out in the environment already kills some of the virus. So the risks are close to 0?