HIV Prevention Community
Telogen Effluvium

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Telogen Effluvium

Dear all,

Over two years ago I had unprotected sex with a woman while I was out of the country. I never had any symptoms following this encounter and, being away from home, neglected to get tested for STDs. I since had not given this encounter much thought, which I confess was irresponsible of me.

I am prone to intense anxiety at times and worked myself into a nervous frenzy ~6 months ago about something about which I will not go into detail, and experienced hair shedding that I assumed was caused by this stress. I was also feeling generally run down and fatigued. I went to a doctor about the hair loss and he did blood work that he said was all normal. At this point I was not thinking about HIV or about the encounter at all and din't ask to be tested for STDs during my visit.

I am still experiencing some hair shedding after 6 months but it seems to be improving gradually. However, I recently saw a program about HIV where they discussed the 'acute infection' and remembered that I did get sick two weeks after the aforementioned sexual encounter. Naturally that scared me and I began to research HIV and saw that telogen effluvium (the hair loss I am experiencing) can be a symptom of HIV. I wrote to the woman (very abashedly) and asked her if she had been tested for STDs. She said she had a month before and was clean, but this was a one night stand with a foreign woman who I do not know or trust.

My question is, would the doctor, given my symptoms likely have tested for HIV when he did my blood work? I have tried getting in touch with the hospital repeatedly the past several days and have heard no response from them. I have to wait one week until I can get tested at a local clinic.

I would greatly value any insight into my situation.

Thank you all.