HIV Prevention Community
Test Result

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Test Result

Hi everyone!  

I had a recent HIV antibody test done:

HIV 1/2 EIA AB Screen
HIV 1/2 EIA AB Screen w/ Reflexes

Both were Non-reactive. This was done at about 90-91 days post exposure. I tried to ask the corporation that performed the test (Quest Diagnostics - Seattle) what generation the test was and everyone I talked to didn't know. Can I consider my 90-91 day post-exposure test as 100% evidence that o DON'T have HIV?  Just been shooken up the past few months.
Your test was conclusive you don't have HIV.
Thanks Teak! Was just concerned cuz my doctor said my exposure was "low risk" the only non-protected act was me receiving oral from a female. I am male. But he said that he recommends 6 months testing. Is the really even necessry? It's hard when you hear "6-8 weeks" "12 weeks" "3 months" then "6 months".
Can someone answer my question about the timeline and the test I took at Quest Diagnostics? Why do the Docs on here say 6-8 weeks, some say 3 months and others say 6 months? Is it the test?
There are no tests market or sold to give a conclusive negative test result earlier than 3 months which is the window period. You don't have HIV and have a conclusive test result.
Would any drugs such a smoking "K2" or "spice" have an effect on the blood test? Maybe by causing a false-Negative?  I smoke some two days before my blood test. Worried that the results may not be conclusive. And is 90 days long enough?
Smoking k2 or spice will not affect HIV test results.  The immune response to HIV (which is what the HIV antibody test measures) is unaffected by marijuana or close substitutes.  
Thanks jhguy011! I have been soo nervous over the last 3+ months that k2 and spice help keep my anxiety levels down.  So my 90 day negative EIA Antibody test results are conclusive?
go back and re-read the FIRST response you got on this post.
Thanks Lizzie! I know you guys probably get frustrated dealing with people like myself everyday.  I just came across a post on here in the community forums that frightened me.  It was someone who said they had negative tests at 6,8 weeks (negative) then a positive test at 12 weeks.  But I think you guys came to the conclusion that the person was messing around to scare people on here since they never commented back.  Seeing this just really frightened me and my test was done at 90-91 days, just shy of the 13 week mark.  Makes me worried that it wasn't accurate.  It was an EIA AB test, I take it thats a regular "standard antibody" test?  I just want to move on with my life.  

The symptoms I had 2 days-14 days after the exposure really frightened me.  Being that I had everything but sore throat and a rash.  Just having a hard time accepting my (6 week 2 day non reactive) and (90-91 day non-reactive) results.
Accept it and move on.
Is there much difference between 12 and 13 week tests?
7 meaningless days.
I dont 't undertand this 12-13 weeks too. Is 12 week result less conclusive than 13 or are they equal?
"said my exposure was "low risk" the only non-protected act was me receiving oral from a female."

Um.... you can test until the cows come home and it will be negative! You had no risk!  

I'll add my two cents regarding the timeline... When I went through a "worried well" episode several years ago I was really confused as to how long conclusive means conclusive. Now there are some state departments of public health (err.. Massachusetts) that go as far to say that a negative test at 6-8 weeks can be considered conclusive on low risk events. However, non of the test manufacturers have included this in their essays so either do to liability or perhaps a confidence rate less than optimal prior to the 12 week mark, one should wait until the full 12 weeks to consider their results definitive.  
Anxiety is makeing people focus on 12 weeks, 13 weeks. Think of it as 3 months. Normally 4 weeks a month so that is 12 weeks. Some months have an extra week so that makes it 13 weeks. But there is no difference between the 2.
My exposure was October 2nd and my test was December 31st. This timeline makes my test results Conclusive correct?
Am I missing something here? The only "unprotected" act was receiving oral sex? Is that right?

If so, your test would have been conclusive on October 3rd because you were never at risk!
The OP poster was talking about testing. They didn't need testing but they did and it was conclusive.
Low risk=conclusive test at 6-8 weeks
High risk=conclusive test at 12 weeks

This recommendation doesn ´t make sence to me.

It is the same virus. It doesn ´t matter how high the risk was. When there is a possibility the person is infected the window period should be 12 weeks in all cases.
No low risk is not conclusive at 6-8 weeks. There are no tests marketed or sold to give a conclusive test earlier than 3 months.
Yes I know Teak. Doctors on expert forum work always with odds and they state that for persons at low risk, 6-8 weeks negative result is sufficient. I don ´t agree with this and in my opinion, it is total non-sense. Window period has nothing to do with degree of risk.
We don't work with odds, if you have had an exposure odds won't tell you your status and we also go by how the manufaces tests were approved by the FDA.
Yes and you are right. Playing with the odds is very dangerous. Only test in a right time tells the story.
So I'm like freaking out. Going into my last test (Eia ~90 days post exposure) my Stensens ducts on each side of my inner cheeks seemed to be unnormal. I can feel the saliva coming out but they look like cuts. I dabbed my right one today and a little spec of blood was on the napkin. Is this a symptom of ars?  I may be self examining myself but I've tested and don't know what else this could be due to. Doubting my 2 test results (6 weeks and ~90 day EIA, both negative)
FORUM GUIDELINES
* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusively negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusively negative results or a no-risk situation will be based upon the criteria established by MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.
Just stating what I find
Just stating what I find
I notice today that I have a black/purplish color pin sized dot on my cheek, should I be worried?
Move on.
To anyone who knows the answer. Let me get this straight. Even hough my EIA test was done around 89-91 day post exposure and it was non-reactive. This means that there is no chance for a false negative?
anyone?
You were told. MOVE ON.
was i? im sorry i just wanted to be reassure Teak.  I wasnt quite sure what condom type was used because she unwrapped it and i was told if it were lambskin i could be in trouble.  But does that even matter with my tests at 89-90 days post exposure?
It doesn't matter you have a conclusive test result.
Thanks Teak!
Ok so this will be my final post since i feel I have totally over-tested/overreacted. But just for final peace of mind. If I slept with this girl on October 2nd 2010 and she tookan OraQuick Swab Test on February 18th 2011 and the result was negative, that would mean I had no chance at being exposed right?
?
Please reread all the replies you've been given for your concern before raising a new question.