HIV Prevention Community
Tested at 2 months

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Tested at 2 months

A few months ago I slept with a girl who ended up being alot shadier than I thought she was. I didnt find this out until later, and she may have had sex previously with an HIV+ male.

This really has me freaked out. I slept with her 3 times during the course of one night, and ever since then I've been worried that I may have contracted HIV. I'm afraid to even hit on women anymore, because I fear spreading it to them if I have it.

Ive been tested 3 times (ELISA) since the exposure, and I've got pretty bad anxiety about the whole ordeal. The latest, 2 months after the potential exposure.

The reason that Im reluctant to believe these tests, is because I was a total pothead for the last 2 years before this. I smoked pot pretty much every day, and alot of it. I'm also a bit of a drinker and I worry that this has somehow ****** my immune system to the point where it would take a few months for HIV antibodies to show up. I have been searching for research that has been done on the immune system and the effects of long term marijuana/alcohol use, but all that I can really find says "yeah its bad for you". The anxiety of this whole ordeal has ruined a relationship that I tried to pursue afterwards, and frankly I've given up on dating for the time being.

Any information or help on this would be appreciated, I just wish I could believe these negative test results. I want to be able to get on with my life and be happy again.
Tags: antibody
Two month up-to-date test means that 99.9999% you are HIV-, statistically. I wish I can get that result.
I have never heard of marijuana causing ones immune system to go to ****.  I have also never heard of something like that affecting an hiv test. You might want to seek others opinions on here that are more knowledgeable, i.e. Teak, Brian123,Strata,kekelow,monkeyflower,sparkeler. And according to doc hhh two months, eight weeks, however you want to phrase it is all you need and you are home free from there. Goodluck and keep us posted!
Your marijuana/alcohol use would have no effect on your HIV antibody tests, even if you were experiencing liver failure (which would be significantly worse than HIV).

Your drug and alcohol abuse (especially the alcohol) poses a significantly greater health threat than any exposure to HIV that you MIGHT have had. It seems that you're taking steps to reduce or eliminate your drug/alcohol consumption, which is excellent. Be sure to stay the course when your HIV anxiety is gone.

Ainxtein has over-stated the reliability of your 2-month HIV antibody test. That being said, the reliability is extremely high, somewhere between 98.00% - 99.98%. Based on your exposure risk (insertive vaginal with woman of unknown serostatus), you can consider your 2 month test to be conclusive, for all intents and purposes. If you remain concerned, have a simple antibody test at 13 weeks (3 months).
Regarding statistics, it is from Cao Yunzhen, one Chinese scientist formerly with ADARC.  She said she has witnessed many 'must-be' HIV infected (those who exposed to HIV blood via transfusion or drug use, or unprotected HIV+), and did blood tests every 3 days, and then apply statistical method to the result. I don't know the details, but generally Chinese ppl that are afraid of HIV believe the results.  Chinese official window period is 3 month, which is said to be very conservative. It is said that there is no patient tested neg at 6 week and then tested pos at 3 months so far (unsupported/unofficial).  I know there are much more cases in the US, but testing using enzyme-link method (up to date, 3rd or 4th gen) should be around that mark.

Schedule:
22.6% - 1week
53.775% - 2week
84.1% - 3week
98.4% - 4week
99.45% - 5week
99.994% - 6 week
99.99986% - 7week
99.99999*% - 8week

And ppl who develop antibody after 6 week are considered to have immune system problems, have medcines affecting antibody generation, or testing process error.
post 476 (Strata I also find this)

I was wondering if anyone has seen any real data on the window period question? Maybe studies of seroconversion times, etc. I am still very confused and somewhat upset about the uncertainty out there. I did call the Mass state hotline and they tell everyone that the window period for a conclusive HIV antibody test (independent of test generation or kind of test btw) is 6 weeks. In their view, the CDC is being tooo conservative and only people with suppressed immune systems would take longer than 6 weeks. Now the CDC will say that 3 months is conclusive and that people with weakened immune systemms might in fact take 6 MONTHs to convert. ANd the guys on the aidsmeds forum are sharing that view (some of those folks are misinformed about the Mass guidelines btw and state test performance as a reason for the inconsistency which is NOT the case).
It is in Chinese. So I think you'll not see it in English cites.  It is what she reported during an interview by SOHU.com - she also showed lots of pictures and answered questions (reportedly).  These figures are used and firmly believed by Chinese 'worried wells'.  Many Chinese doctors (I know they are not as experienced as US docs) also use it (they generally think that 6 week should be good enough for testing, and national standard 3 months, as that of the US, are conservative for 1 times).
I couldn't find the stats you listed by googling Cao Yunzhen's name. Can you post the link where you found those very detailed numbers? I think it would be very interesting for everyone here.
so it is possible for it to take 6 months for me to test positive?
Bro, it is impossible for a person that can comment on this forum to test 6 weeks neg and 6 month positive.  If you test at 6 weeks neg, and get a 6 month pos, it would probably because:
1) you immune system is totally broken and you are now surfing the net in a medical ultra-clean room with pipes all over your body;
2) the lab used polluted equipment (either in your 6 week or 6 month test), which means, either of the test results is false (you know, the posibility is like you are selected president of US in 2 mins from now)
If both 1 and 2 are not the case, and both tests are accurate, then you should be immediately sent to national research institute for testing/researching/treatment (congratulations! you will receive the best HIV treatment and I think you can live for at least 20 years from now, expect your photo in tomorrows Post, and prepare for press conf. tonight).

If you tested negative @ 8 weeks (a.k.a 2 months) your "home-free" as MD HHH would ideally say.
As stated earlier in thousands of posts from the same MD, chances that you are positive would be in the millions.

Even if she were HIV+, transmission for a one-time risk for female to male is so terribly low.
MOST normal human being would have shown antibodies by then.  That would be the same as being exposed to something like the flu and then getting antibodies 2 mos. later.  In my opinion, that just does not happen for a "normal" human being who does NOT have immune disorders.

Your fine.  let it go. (get tested again in another 4 weeks to settle your psyche).

B.