HIV Prevention Community
To PEP or not to PEP

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

To PEP or not to PEP

Hi. 12 hours ago I had a short vaginal intercourse with a remote acquiantance followed by her performing oral sex. I asked her if she was at risk and she said no. She was willing to take an HIV test in the next few days. The question is: in the meantime, should I take PEP?
Thanks!
I hope this is a joke.  NO.  No PEP.
Looking for a time soon, when sex once a month and remaining 28-29 days on PEP, then ready for another "endeavor" followed by second course of PEP and so on....... This will reduce the rate of sexual intercourses very significantly on the planet and in turn the risk transmission and spread of HIV too. keep it up folks  
What is PEP???
PEP (Post Exposure Prophylaxis). Adviced only within 72 hours after exposure if a person got exposed to semen, blood and etc.... of a person who is confirmly known to be HIV+. It is mostly given to Health workers who get pricked by a needle from a patient who is confirmly known to be HIV+. Althought there is no such data that shows the efficiency of PEP, but it is widely believed to be effective in aborting it.
thanks folks but not very helpful I'm afraid
Dude ! Your risk is extremely low, because

1. Very low probability of your partner being +ve.
2. Unprotected vaginal sex even with a +ve partner has a probability of 2 in 1000 i guess.

However, since exposure is there, which is a fact, then the best advice could be, to wait and get tested. PEP, only your doc can decide, not we here at the forum
First, you did not say in your original post whether the intercourse in which you engaged was protected. If it was, the question of PEP is moot, as protected intercourse is not a risk for HIV, nor is oral sex (protected or not, it seems).

When contemplating something as drastic as PEP, it is probably wise to consult with a physician as opposed to taking advice from an Internet site.

PEP is not a joke. There are risks associated with taking the drugs that are given as a part of the PEP protocol. They do have side effects. Typically, when someone is prescribed PEP by a physician, there is a certain risk factor balance that is done as a part of the process. In other words, is the risk of the event in question greater than the risks associated with taking a potentially harmful course of medications? If the doctor decides that, yes, the potential benefit outweighs the potential risks, then PEP is in order. If not, then no, PEP is not in order.

The same logic applies to any number of other medical treatments. Unfortunately, with PEP, there is no time or means to confirm an HIV diagnosis before the efficacy of the treatment wanes (PEP is, optimally, administered within 72 hours of a potential exposure).

I am not a doctor, nor is anyone else on this particular forum. There are surely some knowledgeable posters, but for something as drastic as PEP, it would behoove you to speak to a doctor who specializes in this area and then make a decision regarding PEP. In all likelihood, the doctor is going to counsel against receiving PEP in this case. If the doctor prescribes it, it probably wouldn't hurt to then try to get a second opinion. As I said before, this is not a decision to take lightly.
PEP is a regimen of multiple antiviral medications, which are TOXIC and can cause life-threatening side effects.  We are not talking vitamin supplements here.  PEP is giving only in the event of high risk with a known HIV-positive person.  You had minimal risk with a person who's almost certainly negative.  You won't get PEP even if you try.
When you have to ask a question such as TO PEP OR TO NOT TO PEP, you are most certainly not in a situation wher you actually need it. I took it for a month and it was hell everysingle day and i wouldnt want to even consider it again unless i absolutely had to. I really dont think that situation will arise again tho so no worries.