HIV Prevention Community
Transmission and Child

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Transmission and Child

Hello All!

I have a question regarding transmission through food.  I have read through most of the threads pertaining to this, but I feel that my situation may be a bit different.  My 8 year old son was sharing a bowl of popcorn with a family member of unknown status.  At one point the family member remarked that they had bitten their tongue.  However, he continued to eat out of the same bowl as my son.  I did not think of it until later that his tongue may have bled some which could have been transferred to the popcorn via his fingers.  My son has no open sores or cuts in his mouth that I am aware of.  I know that blood in food is usually not considered a risk but most things I see site time as a factor.  He bit his tongue WHILE they were sharing the food.  Please give me some insight into whether my child was at risk.  Thank you!
No. Saliva contains over a dozen different enzymes and proteins that inhibit HIV transmission.
Your son was never at risk of contracting HIV from eating popcorn even it has blood on it. HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

HIV is transmitted by;
Unprotected penetrative anal and/or vaginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug users
Mother to child
Thank you for your prompt response!  If you don't mind indulging me one more question.  I just checked my son's mouth and he does have a small cut on the inside of his cheek.  He said he doesn't remember biting himself so I assume it isn't too recent.  Would having the cut make any difference transmission wise?
Again, thank you for your help!