HIV Prevention Community
Unprotected sex - condom broke situation -Hiv DUO Negative at 7 weeks

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Dear Doctor,

I had protected sex on 5 September, unfortunately condom broke which I realised after withdrawal and there was no vaginal fluid on exposed tip of penis. However I am not sure of ejaculation. After 2-3 days small fungus kind of pimples appeared on head of my penis.

3 weeks after, Malaise feeling i.e. eye burning sensation, light-headedness condition lasted for 15 days.

5 weeks later, for one week had fatigue, soar throat, night sweats, diarrhea last for a week or two. Out of those only fatigue and diarrhea continued, which is still present.

at 7 weeks time, went to test for hiv test and got tested for all STD's including hiv. Below are results
Hiv 1 & 2, p24 antigen test ag/ab (VIDAS Duo test) - Non reactive
VDRL - non reactive
HEP A, B, C - Negative
Herps - IGg - Negative, IGm - positive.
CBC status - WBC 8700, RBC 5.4, Lymphocytes 32%.

On same day, I Visited Gynaecologist and after seeing lesions he advised to use cream candiderma. he also give course of Zithrox  (5 days) and Zocon (1 tab). after starting course diarrhea again started and even no change after having imodium (immodium) tablet.

at 7.5 week time, went to hospital to check for root cause of prolonged fatigue, tiredness and uneasy feeling. MD (chest physician) Dr. got again test for CBC (WBC elevated 9500, RBC - Normal, Lymphocytes 20%, also he did ECG and advised to hospitalise. He started saline course and medicines for allergic bronchitis. During hospitalisation my BP was reaching high levels, pulse elevated (thinking probably due to stress and fear of hiv), diarrhea continued uptil now.

Currently at 11 weeks mark still I have fatigue, Malaise feeling, difficulty in wake up and diarrhea. During this 2-3 months time only hiv is on my mind and i am using internet enormously to browse for symptoms and their relation with HIV.

Can you please advice what are the chances of HIV infection in my case and negative HIV DUO test at 7 weeks mark (51 days).
3 months post exposure is when you can obtain your conclusive test result.
Teak,
thanks for prompt reply. Yes, agree and I am aware of 3 months conclusive mark. I was expecting the chances here and reliability of DUO test done at 7 weeks mark at which infection identification are possible i.e. antibodies if they are generated in response to p24 antigen or alone antigen if body has not produced antibodies at that time. hopefully someone can address and give advice on it.
You were advised when your test would be conclusive.

http://www.cdc.gov/globalaids/Resources/pmtct-care/docs/TM/Module_6TM.pdf
Page 11
#4
  In an adult, a positive HIV antibody test result means that the person is infected, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results

UK Fourth Generation  Testing
http://www.bhiva.org/documents/Guidelines/Testing/GlinesHIVTest08.pdf
Post testing
Page 11
The need for a repeat HIV test if still within the window period after a specific exposure should be discussed. Although fourth generation tests shorten the time from exposure to seroconversion a repeat test at three months is still recommended to definitively exclude HIV infection.
Wow Teak... U truly are very educated on this topic... Literature and direct to the point
Medhelp and folks looking for info should really appreciate u...
Hi Teak,
I had HIV duo test at 12 weeks mark on mini VIDAS DUO test and it again came back negative. However I still have diarrhea, fatigue and unusual feeling. For your information HSV igG is positive. Could this positive is cause of all ongoing symptoms or its still worry for HIV. I would seek your advice on STD's and HIV for ongoing symptoms.
You don't have an HIV concern. All STD question have to be posted in the STD Forum
Hi teak,
thanks... I have posted new question under STD forum.

So do I need to wait and go for another 3 months for 6 months mark HIV test? I am not patient of part transplant/chemotherapy. I am not sure about immunity disorder but I was healthy person. Please advice about HIV.
Your question was already answered above.
You have excellent results thus far but a final test at 3 months will ice the cake--6 months is not required for you.
Thanks I already have 3 months/12 weeks DUO test negative. The reason for worry are symptoms like diarrhea, fatigue, unusual feeling etc even at 3 months mark. If its not HIV then what exactly caused all HIV specific symptoms from day 1.
If you have a 3 month negative under your belt then you don't have Hiv--it's that simple.Those symptoms are from stress.
HIV does not have any specific symptoms.
Thanks RainLover,
I already have 12 weeks cum 3 months test. However due to some ongoing symptoms and the one's I faced initially I am planning to go for 15 weeks test. Hope it will be negative.
you will received a same result if u test @15weeks it will be negative.
if u continue testing HIV will make u Addiction to test and u will never believed your test and causing u OCD,I suggest u seek a mental help.
I tested at 15 week and as you said it came Negative. I will not test again..

Its just fatigue getting me down. I am on medical course for that. Hope HIV or any other STD is reason for it.
your test proves...WITHOUT A DOUBT...that you DONT have hiv.

if you are having health concerns, work with your dr to find the cause...it's not hiv related.
You're HIV negative--move on now please.
what symthomps or health condition now u're having is not a HIV related is 100% stress related and congratulation for the negative result keep stay safe and move on with your life.
If you're still thinking about this now, you really need to get yourself some professional help.  It's simply not normal to have so many negative tests, and the inability to accept them as proof you don't have HIV.  That points to a serious anxiety issue.

There's NOTHING more we could possibly add.  We cannot keep repeating ourselves every few months when you bump your old thread for more reassurance.  You need a professional mental health worker for that kind of reassurance, because there is a disconnect in your thinking process about this.

PLEASE move on, as there are LOTS of people waiting to have their first question answered, it isn't fair to them to keep bumping their threads down the page when we've already spent so much time repeating ourselves to you.

Good luck.
can you check my case and pls comment//