HIV Prevention Community
Unprotected sex, considering PEP

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Unprotected sex, considering PEP

I am a 28-year-old gay male living in San Francisco (which has a fairly high percentage of people with HIV).  I am usually a boy scout when it comes to wearing condoms, but last night I got very, very drunk, took a guy home, and had sex with him without a condom (I was the top).  For whatever it's worth, I'm circumcised.  

The person I had sex with is a friend and **** buddy of mine.  It was our third time having sex, though the first without a condom.  I've known him for probably 8-9 months.  This morning, I messaged him and I asked him if he was clean, if he had HIV, etc., and he told me that he was clean, got tested in November, and that I was over-reacting and will be fine.  I have no reason to suspect that he's lying to me, but I think there's some chance he could have gotten exposed between November and March.  That said, he's almost always a top and told me that he hadn't bottomed since September, the last time we had sex.  Of course, this could have been ********, but I generally trust him.

I'm trying to decide if I should get PEP as I just past the 24 hour mark.  Unfortunately, I do not have health insurance, and I hear the medicine is ~$1000.  I just lost my job and don't have that kind of money, so I'm not sure what to do.  I could probably ask friends for the money, though.

What do you think I should do?  Wait 4-6 weeks and get tested or go on PEP?  What are the chances are of me getting HIV?  I have an anxiety disorder, so I am not sure if I am completely over-reacting or not.

Thank you for your help.
Contact your physician and discuss it with them.