HIV Prevention Community
Visible Veins Temple Region...Freaking Me Out

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

i got sick back on feb 2nd for a few days with high fever and then lost like 10lbs which i cant gain back no matter how much i eat.  i notice veins in my temple region on both sides of my head that are very visible which were not before.  i was worried about exposure to someone i think is hiv poz.

i got tested elisa blood test at 6 weeks.  it was NEG.  i also did a viral load test which was undetectable.

ive been freaking (unable to cope with daily life) for 3 months now even with the negative test.  have a gazillion symptoms and scared to go get the 3 month test this week.

i understand massachusetts now considers 6 weeks definitive.  many others have advised me that while not a conclusive test at 6 weeks it can be considered 90-95% conclusive.

1.  can i consider the test over 90% conclusive?
2.  if i was positive for hiv could i lose weight like this in a matter of 8-10 weeks of getting hiv?
3.  if the illness in february i had was ARS related wouldnt the hiv test have shown either positive for antibodies or some level of viral load?

thanks for any advice!  
You do not lose weight in the amount you stated with HIV. More than likely your is due to stress and anexity. Veins showing in the temple region is more than likely because of the weight you've lost. A six week negative is a good indication of what your 13 week confirmative test will be.
thanks teak.  the weight loss happened before i became nervous about HIV.  that is why it has me so anxiety ridden now.  

for literally 3 months now i have been so fatigued which has everything from my joints aching to skin burning to mouth pain.  i keep telling myself its anxiety and stress, but i am having the hardest time bringing myself to the testing center this week since its 3 months post exposure.

is it possible i'm just getting older and the visibility of these veins is a natural change?  it just doesnt make any sense to me.  also noticed that my ass has sagged and overall i just look older, smaller, skinnier.  

its all got me terrified even with the negative test and undetectable viral load.
is it possible i'm just getting older and the visibility of these veins is a natural change? it just doesnt make any sense to me. also noticed that my ass has sagged and overall i just look older, smaller, skinnier.

Very much so, that will not be the only thing you notice. The love handles are more pronounced, the starting of a beer gut and you don't drink, just those small things. When you're worried you notice things more about yourself because you're going over your body with a magnifying glass.