Weakly Positive Mono Screen
Has anyone in this forum got weakly positive result for infectious mononucleosis. I got a weakly positive outcome for infectious mononucleosis. Do I have to repeat the test to confirm Mono? I am extremely concerned as I still have symptoms of a viral infection for the past 1 - 1/2 months. I am worried if this could be Mono. My doc says it is most likely not Mono.
desert_rider: Mono (more specifically Epstein Barr virus) is not usually tested for extensively. If you are concerned about HIV, get tested for HIV out of the window period. As to EBV, there is nothing you can do about it even if you have recently contracted it and have mono from it, so don't worry about it. Rest and relax and feel better!
Thanks Ronnie for the comforting words, I think I will have to work on getting myself back into good mental and physical health even if I have EBV.
Mono is not the same as Epstein Barr virus. Epstein Barr virus is one of the causes of mono along with CMV. If you really want to find out if you have Mono, you can have a Mono Spot test done.
Teak, I was confused myself and so did bit of researching. Most of the web pages I came across state that that Mono is caused by EBV and do not mention CMV. The CDC states that mononucleosis-'like' illness can induced by cytomegalovirus, adenovirus, or Toxoplasma gondii, but guess it is not mononucleosis. I got my Mono Spot(Screen) weakly positive(it supposedly tests for heterophile antibodies) and EBV viral load not detected(though this test is not FDA approved, but done only for research purposes). I will ask my GP if there is any EBV only specific antibody tests that can be done for me. Also, I am going to seek another infectious deseases specialist to interpret my results just to be sure. Thanks ...
FDA Approved EBV tests. This is just a few.

EBV VCA IgG
EBV VCA IgM
Epstein-Barr Nuclear Antigen (EBNA) ACIF (Anti-Complement Immunofluorescence)
Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) Early Antigen IFA

Infectious mononucleosis (often called simply "mono") is a common viral infection that causes fever, sore throat, and enlarged lymph nodes. The most common complaint is a sore throat. Mono is commonly caused by the Epstein-Barr virus, but other viruses, such as cytomegalovirus (CMV), can also cause mono. Mono is most frequently diagnosed in teenagers and young adults.
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/mononucleosis/article_em.htm

cmv=cytomegalovirus
B20
I have also been suffering from flu like symptoms and a sore throat since the beginning of December. I've had blood tests done and they also revealed I was weakly positive for Infectious mononucleosis. I had further tests done though and there was no evidence of EBV, toxoplasma or CMV, but they did find evidence of previous CMV infection.

I really don't have any more information than you do about this but just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

Most of my symptoms have gone now but I'm still feeling very lethargic. I'm due to get some further tests done this week. Will keep you posted.