HIV Prevention Community
What is Risk of Reusing the Syringe

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

What is Risk of Reusing the Syringe

Hello...

I have seen here many are aking about reusing the syringe. Now today I have tken my kids to Public Health center for some vaccination.

The nurse there mixed the vaccination and used different needles but same same syringe and she not disposing the needles properly. all lying on the same table.

Using the same syringe what is risk?

Not a risk. MOVE ON.
I am really worried about my kids... Since she just loaded syringe with 4 to 5 people does and changing the needle for every kid.

I was far away from the nurse desk and by the time i reach she injected my kids.
I went told the duty doc and he went told her and applogised to me and wife.

Is it a Zero Risk? How sure you are!.
Using one needle to draw medicine and use different needles and syginges to inject is not a risk what so ever.
I agree with you if she uses diferrent needles and syringes to inject is not a risk.

But here was she done......

" She used different needles and  but used the same syringe to inject"
Sure she did.
Yes... I went and complained to Duty Dr and he applogized and told the nurse to avoid that in future. also instructed her to use both needle and syringe as new.

You can ask me what hell your I am doing that time ...I would have stoped that if I am with my wife and I was other kid in diverting her attention while she is crying.

I  need your advise... here

advise about what?  there is no blood drawn into the syringe when giving an injection.  you stated that a different needle was used.

this is NOT a hiv concern and you should take up your issues with the doctor's office...not here.
Suppose the situation did happen it was not a risk to your kids. There was no IV injection involved with a blood return and I seriously doubt that any of your kids are HIV positve to worry about one child transmitting HIV to another.
None of kids are Positive and I hoping good for my kids to be always Negative.

None of my kids are Positive but I was worried about satus of previous other kids whose status was not known. That is my worry....

While the nurse did not follow proper procedure (and you already told the doctor)...she did not put ANYone at risk.  An injection is just that...and as long as the needle was changed, there is nothing to worry about.

Move on and relax, there is nothing to worry about.
It so pathetic you guys want me to ban ... please go ahead and ban me..... Lets you guys rule for wrong cause....  

I came here for real risk cause....

Read CDC recomendations or you guys recommend CDC to change their recommendations...

I can agree with certian cases they are Zero Risk....

But I do not think this is zero risk..

Okay ban me .... ban me .......................................................................
MOVE ON.
What on earth are you talking about?  No one has said anything about banning you.

I WISH you would take what everyone has said as the truth tho...there was not a risk with what you've described.  Certainly I understand you being angry at the lack of proper procedure, but the bottom line is...your children were not at risk.

The way IV (as in drug use) issues become a risk is when there is blood in the bore of a needle, and then the same needle is used on the next person, WITH the blood still inside the bore.  Being that the needle was changed, there is no risk.....at all.
Oh, and if you WANT to believe, despite the evidence to the contrary, that the kids were at risk...so be it, but that's just crazy.

If it would make you feel better...pay $15 and ask the docs here in the expert forum....they deal with HIV every day...maybe THEM telling you what WE did will be reassurance enough.  I hope so.
That is not totally all true. IV drug users always draw when shooting up to make sure they get a blood return which backflows into the syringe. The syringe if immediately use by other IV drug abuser without proper clean has a very good chance of contracting HIV from blood residue left in the syringe from the first user. Which is totally different from the situation above where no blood was involved.
Teak...That's what is different with the two situations is right.  With an IV drug user...like you said...they draw back on the syringe to make sure they are in a vessel, hence the (signficant) blood in the bore.  With an injection, there is a SLIGHT draw back to make sure we are NOT in a vessel..but not enough to make a difference (not like intravenous use).

Plus, the needles were changed anyway...which totally negates any of this.

It's good to mention the difference though!!!
Correct. ;)