HIV Prevention Community
White Tongue / Sore Throats / ARS

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

White Tongue / Sore Throats / ARS

With regard to white tongue, would it be fair to say that most if not all people have this to some degree?

Have read that a sore throat CAN be a sympton of ARS ( which lasts for approx 2-4 weeks ), or is it possible for the sore throat to linger on and off or is this unusual ( more likely a normal winter viral problem )? Guess also if people ( including myself ) are under the affects of anxiety and you smoke, you will undoubtedly smoke more which will i guess cause more accute and long lasting throat problems?

Your views??

Thanks.....

Avatar n tn
what is the difference?  i have what looks like white, sometimes thickish coating (looks a little lumpy at times) on the back of the tongue....thought that may be thrush, but unsure...
If you had thrush, I truly doubt that you would be posting on this forum. The only way to diagnosis thrush is my having the doctor do a swab and analyzing it under a microscope. Thrush is very painful.
Avatar n tn
I have not had any pain from the white stuff on the back of my tongue, none at all....just freaky when you see it....don't know why else the back of my tongue would be covered with white stuff -- but i guess it happens....
Avatar n tn
Try buying a tongue scraper.  They really work well.
Avatar n tn
What is a tongue scraper?

You still stand strong with my 6-week negative? You've been a big help to me so far thru this...just trying to move on
Avatar n tn
btw, got a tongue scraper tonight, the dentist gave it to me!
Avatar n tn
A tongue scraper scrapes is like a tooth brush for the tongue.  It scrapes all that nasty bacteria on your tongue where your tongue may actually look pink again.  You can get them at any drugstore.  Everyone has had white coating on their tongue.  Think about everyhthing we put in to our mouth.  It is so common & it isn't thrush.
Avatar n tn
thanks - i think i will go out and get one -- really appreciate it.

how about the six-week negative? i know you buy into that, is that just from what hhh says, or have you heard it elsewhere -- just curious...

thanks a ton, appreciate it.
Avatar n tn
I buy in to it b/c my doctor tells me, the nurses, Dr. HHH.  Trust me, I've had my share of battles with the hiv monster.  I've done alot of research.  Thankfully, I've come out of this alive & well.  I'm more reasonable & realistic about this disease.  And nothing I've ever done in my life really put me at risk.  No more than the average person.  So not likely I will ever get it, unless of course I was extremely unlucky.  But all you can do is take reasonable percautions & the rest really isn't up to us.
Avatar n tn
I think what's really getting to me too, is that i did this ONE time behind my wife's back -- I've never done this before, EVER.  And I'm petrified that this one time of :15--:20 of unprotected sex have ruined my life..I really am.

After I got the six week negative test back, I felt good for a few days....then the ankle/foot pain came back...you know the rest of that saga.....but...I can't get it out of my head b/c of the ankle/foot pain...

I'm trying my damnest though.....thanks for the advice...not sure what else to do...
Just because someone has a white tongue, does not indicate anything. Having a white tongue is way, way different than having thrush. Most people have white tongues and most babies have white tongues.
Avatar n tn
Lol.  Happy Holidays!