Why Don't I have HIV?
My husband and I were married in Nov. of 2006.  We had unprotected sex in the months of Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb.  I had an HIV test in Jan.  It was Neg.  We decided to start using condoms to prevent pregnancy.  We did not have unprotected sex in the months of Feb, March, April, May and mid June.

In mid June, the condom broke and I rushed in to the clinic for a morning after pill.  I got on the nuva ring and thereafter had unprotecd sex approx 10 times through the end of June through July 10.  

My husband recently tested pos (on Friday the 13th, last week,)  

I tested neg again on Monday.  .  

Why don't I have hiv?

When can I find out?  I have a sore throat, a cough...a summer cold, I guess.  

Should I start treatment now to narrow the risk of infection or is it way too late for that?

If I test positive a few weeks from now, is it safe to assume that it was aquired between the two us after April? He got a tattoo in April.   I don't want to beleive that he had an affair, but I also don't want to stay with a man who would put our family in that kind of danger.  I just wish there were a way to know iwhen he got it.  I am angry.

And I don't have a steady job. I am so screwed. I have nothing.
I didn't think it would be cheap, but that's really expensive.  I don't know what I'm going to do if I have contracted HIV.  
My head is spinning!
Thanks for all of your information.  

He keeps swearing he was tested last July.  

I'll call FMLA.  

His dad can get him started on the meds.  

The only good news is, if he has had it for several years, like his t cells indicate, I never got it.  I mean, I could have it from last months unprotected sex, but its unlikely that I made it this far without becoming infected....As crazy as that sounds, its what I''m going to tell myself so I can sleep tonight.  

One final question, can I get the PCR RNA  done at a regular clinic  and would it show the virus if I have it?
Several years to drop down to that level, it doesn't happen in a year. But it really doesn't matter now does it? Sitting at home isn't going to do him any good. Yes he will need to get the paperwork for FMLA to take to the doctor to fill out. Here instead of me asking your area code I'll give you the website so you can call them on monday. That will get the ball rolling.

http://www.hivcareinok.org/hivpos.htm#Q:%20Where%20can%20I%20find%20help%20in%20fighting%20HIV
If would like register at AidsMeds and send me a message over there. You can send private messages there and I can give you my email address so if you all have any questions. It's not the end of the world, just a little bump in the road. You two will make it through it. At AidsMeds I go by Rapidrod and my name is Rodney. You can post in "Some one I care about has HIV" or Living With forum and I'll get a hold of you.
If a patient does HAART will that stop HIV from progressing into full blown AIDS?
PCR RNA test is a screening test. It's not a diagnostic test. You need to have an antibody test. There are some people there that had unprotected sex and never contracted HIV so I hope you are one of them. Just make sure you two use condoms for now on.
So far HAAT has stopped the progression into AIDS. It will work until some new medications get out on the market. The chances of someone newly exposed going from HIV to AIDS is almost zilch. It's just bad when you start out with AIDS to begin with.
There are several couples there that had sex for a long while before one was diagnosised and the other remained negative. Contact Ann and she give you the whole detail. She's positive and her boyfriend isn't.
So if it does not progress to AIDS.. One can live a pretty normal life without feeling sickly??  

OMG!  I think I need to see a shrink.  
Its amazing to hear that still one can remain negative while the other being positive even they have unprotected sex. Whats the reason for that?
Yes you will be able to live a pretty normal and long life. The meds are a drag but other than that everything is going to be pretty much the same. Now don't think about quitting your day job. It's not that easy. :)
So how is that some people can contract HIV from 1 exposure and others can go years and not contract HIV.
Do you know why it's easier for some to contract it and not so easy for others???
They don't really know. It just happens sometimes.
I hope it happens in my case I don't want to contract HIV after one exposure.  Even though, there was bleeding involved with the vaginal sex.  
Is it normal to have all this anxiety.. to the point where I feel like I could have a panic/anxiety attack.
Yes, I do.  Why do you ask?
I teach 4th grade.. Are you kidding.. I would NEVER quit that job (*wink*)  
Do the meds make you feel sick?  
Do you believe in faith?
Is it normal to have anxiety and panic when worried? Of course until you been told a million times your negative then it becomes a mental issue. By the way I use to work in Dallas.
Atripla make you feel kinda dizzy and drunk, but that will usually go away. That's why you take it at night. In the mornings you'll feel okay. It may take a couple of days to get use to it.
Valtrex gave me a feeling kind of like that..

Why did you ask if I believe in faith?  I did reply, btw.  my response was yes. =0)
Because I believe that is why the partner of a positive person didn't contract it before they found out.
So are you saying I should have a little faith?  I'm so scared.  
How did you handle the news when you were told?  AND that was in the 80's.  

How long did you work in Dallas?  Do you ever go back to visit.  
I wasn't suprised by my result, I had lost 22 friends at that time to AIDS. I've never worried about it but working in the health care field I just figured when it was my time to go, then that will be it. I never looked back. I keep going strong, working every day visited my Dr annually for blood monitoring and lived a normal life as I still do. I was in Dallas for six years. I came back in 90 and I have been back once. It wasn't the same, most all my friends were gone. I do miss it though.
Wow, I admire your strength.  I've never been this scared in my entire life.  I don't know that I would handle the news lightly.  
I don't have internet at home....I've been taking my little laptop down the block and stealing internet...that's why I don't stay on here and chat.  Last night was brutal but he finally admitted that he did not have an hiv test last July.

He did call in to work today and we are on our way to the hospital.  We can't wait weeks to be seen.  

Question:  Will Atripla help him rebuild t-cells?  Will they ever be back to a healthy level?  

We are expecting him to be hospitilized so they can run lots of tests to make sure he doesn't have anything else like hep a b or c.  I have a serious lung thing going on right now (lots of thick coughing)  He's got to be under medical
attention now.  I have decided (I am now an M.D. guys...)  haha. Teak, I will contact you through out.

Thanks again for all the support
Will Atripla help rebuild his T cells? Yes but at a slow pace. It will never change his classification of having AIDS even if he goes above 500 on his CD4. He will see his VL go to undectable early. He won't be hospitalized for tests. All are blood tests and they will just take quite a few tubes of blood to run all the tests. I give anywhere from 11-18 vials of blood every three months.
If I test pos. I want your email address too. I would love to meet you in person.
Hey Teak.  Long day at the ER.  

When you find out your husband could just up and die one day, it makes you want to STOP THE WORLD and have it revolve around HIM.  ER doctors and nurses disagree.  In fact, after about four hours in the ER, we were sent home, with nothing but a phone number to a specialist who may be able to get him in soon.  It is amazing how little is known by most health care workers about aids.  
I mentioned antibiotics and was laughed at "His lungs are fine!  We did an xray!  You want us to kill him with antibiotics?  You really need to educate yourself about this young lady...."  said the triage nurse (I wanted to attack her, but instead cried helplessly.)  I said, "But his viral load is fast and his immune system is nothing!  He needs to be on atripla NOW AND ANTIBIOTICS NOW!  We're not leaving here without it!!!!"  She asked where I'd gotten my information...."Teak says so!!!!"  

True story...We left with nothing but a phone number and a ton of inaccurate information.  From the way these assholes are talking, it may be two weeks before he is seen.  

We were talking about his advanced directive---i think its called---and I just kept imagining the worst.  My husband is going to die.  And I can't do anything about it.   All the information in the world isn't helping him.  I am helpless.I am so sad.  

All the people talked to us like we were idiots.  Explaining things they didn't understand.  I was hacking and coughing the entire time.  My fever has held at 99.8 for about four days now.  I'm sick. I know I'm sick with HIV. I'm scared.  And I've been strong for so many days now but I can't keep ignoring this pain.  I married the strongest man in the world because he made me feel safe and protected, he provided for us and took care of us better than anyone ever has.  And seeing him this weak is the scariest feeling I've ever felt.  
Your a strong person.

Good Luck and God Bless
You know, calling your self bigdummy isn't very nice.  Nope! Not nice at all!  And you really appear to be a sweetie!  Thank you for your kindness.

bigsmartie!
Oh, you need to educate yourself? Apparently they don't have a clue about HIV and OIs. Wow slow down. Unless you have been tested positive you don't know ****. Understand? Did you worry about your husband that he might die in a auto crash on the way to work every day? Did you worry about him dieing of heart failure everyday? You will never get anything accomplished by worrying. Relax. Phone the ASO in your area to get an appointment.
You guys have a great day..I"m off to teach the world to make music....xoxoxoxox
I joined the other aids site you told me about....My screen name is the same.  Seeing all those tcells rising was encouraging.  

Dr. Greenfield at ou med cannot get us in until Sept.  We have a special call in from the er doc so maybe they'll bump us up to tomorrow.

We found another doctor who can get him in this Thursday.  I just wish he could go today and start meds now!!!!  I knkow three days really isn't going to matter very much..but still.  He needs the meds now.  He's got this horrible thing happening to his skin.  Even on the bottoms of his feet.  It almost looks dry but they are more like little round cold sores all over his legs, trunk, arms an real patchy on his face and scalp.  I hope its not KS.  I'M SUCH A WORRY WART.
If he can get in thursday that will be okay fine.
Hey there.  It has over a month and I just wanted to up date you.  I have been testing neg. as of 55 days post exposure.  I think I'm going to get out of this one alive.  That is, I married a liar and a cheater and it's all catching up with him now.  We are currently seperated and I don't feel bad for a second.  Turns out he WAS NEVER TESTED and knew he had been exposed by one of his old BOYFRIENDS.  He had TWO affairs while we were together and SHARED NEEDLES throughout his entire drug exsistence.  Boy was I the fool or what?  When you love someone...you just really want to trust them....dang  

Good news for him though: one month of atripla= cd4s went from 115 to 189 and VL went from 143,000 to 800.  Good for him!  He's gonna live a long life....Only the GOOD die young.  

Happy happy joy joy...I escaped hell and still have my beautiful baby boy.  

I was afraid it was something like that.  His story just didn't make sense.

I'm so thrilled for you.  You still have a bit of a ways to go before you are in the clear, but your results are very encouraging.  Best of luck to you in the future, and keep us posted.  Stay strong.
I am new on here and I just read your whole thread and wow what an experience. I am glad you are still negative, and finally got the truth.

tg
Miracle24,  I am gay.  I know first hand, from being in online chat rooms, and in the community in general, that there are MANY MANY MANY men who live on the 'down low'.  Married men who have sex with men.   Gay.com  is chock full of these "married closeted bi" men.  Does your husband travel around for business often, or at all?  Does he go on trips out of town alone without you?  You're trying to figure out how he got HIV.  Perhaps there's more to this story.  I am glad to hear that your HIV results are negative.  You probably dodged the bullet!  It is probably too late to hire a private detective to follow him around (if he's been up to something, i'm sure he stopped doing it with his HIV+ diagnosis).  This 'down low' thing is a disturbing and still very little known about thing going on.  Not to gross any of you out, but i happened to chat with a married man who told me "i am a slut when i go out of town"  He had a webcam on in our chat on yahoo messenger, and allowed me to watch him have sex with a random man in his hotel room.  Trust me, i have FIRST HAND experience with the married gay thing.  I've seen that type before.  i just thought i'd give you some food for thought.  peace
Hi Miracle, i posted the previous post BEFORE i read yours that he got exposed from one of his old BOYFRIENDS!  haha.....honest to God truth right there.  my suspicions of him being gay were confirmed after i posted that message to you.. all i had to do was scroll up and read.  I was right!  you take care, and if you need MAN advice.  You can always talk to me.  I AM ONE, FOR REAL! and i know a lot about them, as i deal with them on the relationship level myself. haha...later
I was sure he was bisexual as soon as I heard the tattoo story... Hey, people lie all the time... I'm so happy that you're OK and finally moving on!  Good for you.
God Bless You Miracle24. I wish you well in everything. Keep us post.
wow, congrats on the negative testing :) what a story, its so sad to see someone deceive a person like that. Im sorry you had to experience that. Look on the bright side, you are negative and there are plenty of other fish (straight and faithful too) out there :)
Oh man, what a story? Thanks GOD you did dodge the HIV bullet. As David20 said. God bless you Miracle 24. What happen to you was a miracle!!!
WHOA!!!! Is all I can say.

Make sure you give thanks to God for sending those angels down to protect and watch over you.You didn't dodge a bullet,that was God right there over you.

Take care of you and that precious lil boy.
Thanks for your valuable testimony.  People lie all the time when it comes to their sex life.  That's why nobody should assume anything about their partners, everyone should undergo HIV testing on a regular basis.
I just read this entire thread, it's a compelling story. I'm so glad that you tested negative, and that you're not at risk anymore. I just had an HIV antibody test done recently, and I go in on the 14th of this month to get the results. My main concerns are that of being cheated on in the past by this one girl. I've been paranoid about many other things, as some people on this forum have had to deal with me about.  :)
Still in denial I see.
hello every one i just want to thank dr ogba for what he has done for me
before i was hiv positive so i was confuse i din't know what to do as i was browsing i saul how he help someone in curing his aids so i contact him and he told me not to worry that every thing will be fine that i should just give him two days and he told me what to do and after two days he ask me tio go for test to my greates suprase me that was hiv positive before i was now hiv negetive i'm very happy now so if you are in this condiction contact him on his email ***@****
Please stop sharing such misleading posts. This is not more than a cheap attempt of advertising by a quack. A confirmed positive person can not turn negative in two days, No Way, No How.

As of today, there is no cure for HIV is known to mankind, tomorrow may be, we know it, but not today. Virus once entered and infected a person, can not be eradicated and the person has to live with it for rest of his/her life.

The only significant success medical science achieved so far, is the development of ARV medication, which is a treatment, not cure but helping people to live with the disease in a better way