HIV Prevention Community
Why Don't I have HIV?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Why Don't I have HIV?

My husband and I were married in Nov. of 2006.  We had unprotected sex in the months of Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb.  I had an HIV test in Jan.  It was Neg.  We decided to start using condoms to prevent pregnancy.  We did not have unprotected sex in the months of Feb, March, April, May and mid June.

In mid June, the condom broke and I rushed in to the clinic for a morning after pill.  I got on the nuva ring and thereafter had unprotecd sex approx 10 times through the end of June through July 10.  

My husband recently tested pos (on Friday the 13th, last week,)  

I tested neg again on Monday.  .  

Why don't I have hiv?

When can I find out?  I have a sore throat, a cough...a summer cold, I guess.  

Should I start treatment now to narrow the risk of infection or is it way too late for that?

If I test positive a few weeks from now, is it safe to assume that it was aquired between the two us after April? He got a tattoo in April.   I don't want to beleive that he had an affair, but I also don't want to stay with a man who would put our family in that kind of danger.  I just wish there were a way to know iwhen he got it.  I am angry.

Have you asked him yet?

Anyways, HIV (subtype B, at least, in the US) is a relatively difficult virus to catch via heterosexual sex. Dr Triple H (the doctor here, not the wrestler), grandmaster of all things HIV, will quote you a 1/1000 odds of getting it via a 1 time exposure....multiply that by 10 and you get 1/100. So it's not too difficult to see from that point of view. Anyways, it is too late to start PEP. Test 12 weeks after your last unprotected exposure to him to get your conclusive serostatus result. I would be angry too.

Best of luck to you, Miracle...oh ya, by the way, someone else had a similar story and she posted a negative result...
Ya ive been reading alot lately! and im nowhere near advanced as some people on here about there hiv knowledge but i would imagen ur husband got hiv probably before he tested and why would he be testing if you were his only partner and he knew that you were negative! I would assume if i was you that it would have been a month or so prior to his test! I dont know if that helps but its just an assumption!
Oh, ya, if you can't wait to 12 (NO ONE can, of course)...the venerable H3 will tell you that 6 weeks post exposure is extremely reliable (and he says he's never seen someone test neg 6-8 weeks post exposure then switch to positive).

Good luck you.
That is love, to be with a known HIV person, this is my fear in life. THat I will never be able to find true love.
<----shaking his head.

BD, this person has a true worry. Have you no compassion?
What are you talking about, I was serious. She must love this person to sleep with him if he has HIV. I wish her the best of luck, but how many of us have someone like her in our lives? None if any, I'm going to die lonely and depressed.
It is unlikely he got it from a tattoo in the U.S. Tattoo parlors are under way too much scrutiny here to be sharing needles and such (I would imagine). Out of curiosity, what made him get an HIV test? Also, a positive ELISA, EIA, or rapid test needs to be backed up by a Western Blot. If he hasn't had the Western Blot yet, it is still possible he hasn't contracted HIV. False positives are definitely in occurence with those tests. Some more info: realistically, an antibody test will turn positive by 4-6 weeks post exposure. If you do the math on that, it the earliest you *could* have been affected was in early June. That rules out anything in Nov - Feb. Why did he not get an HIV test at the same time you did in January?

Dammit asp, I wish I wasn't this knowledgable about HIV (which I'm really not, I'm just a scared symptom searcher with a low risk; Teak is grandmaster 1A).

BD, she never knew he was positive until he tested...and I don't think she wants to stay with him from the text of it.
A lot of times posts like these lead me to believe its phony. She hasnt come back to the boards to respond and I thought you got blood tests before a marriage certificate is issued? She isnt really concernd about a sore throat, just calls it a summer cough. Most people in this situation would be PANICK stricken.

If I am wrong I deeply apologize, I just find this post hard to believe.

I want to know why he went in for an HIV test anyway.

1.  Your husband needs to confirm his test.  False positives do happen
2.  If he is poz, you need a test in October to rule out infection
October? What about the 3 month window? Argggh, all you 'knowledgable' folk keep on switching up the times on us sheep. This stinks.
Sorry, miracle, the "venerable H3" is the Dr. H Hunter Hansfield, the resident medhelp.org HIV doc here. He's on the Ask a Doctor forum. Sorry for the confusion.
Hey guys...I'm really glad to see so many of you responding...and to wohomever said this was phony...well...its not...it's very real.  I just got back online...I've been at work and tucked my two year old in bed.  I haven't had unproctected sex with him since we found out he was pos on Friday.

What is this:  ?????
"the venerable H3 will tell you that 6 weeks post exposure is extremely reliable"

I guess I'll throw in a few other details...Sorry if its a little long...

I'm in Oklahoma...No blood test was needed before marriage...

He was tested last July.  It was neg.
I was tested in Jan because I was pregnant. (lost the baby at 6 weeks)

I AM PANIC STRICKEN.  I have my little boy to think about.  

I went to a weight loss clinic about a month ago and they did blood work on me CBC, I think its called, any way, I got a call from them saying I needed to have a repeat done because my white blood cells and platelets were a little high and not to worry because I could just have a minor infection....At that point, I new nothing about HIV but I immediately called my husband at work and told him something may be wrong with me....So, like most people I googled "high white blood cells...." and other variations of that sort and came to the conclusion that I was probably okay....This incident is what sparked me to bug him about his health.  He started getting red spots on his face, then his scalp, so he went to his father's clinic (his father is a P.A.)  and got some topical steriod cream... Decided then to run blood work.  Just a check-up....No real worries.  He says his father is the one who ordered the hiv test, in other words, he says he didn't really request it.  

A week later, his mother comes banging on our door early last Friday morning to tell him that the blood work came back and he was HIV pos.  I'm not making this up people!!!!!  He got the news from his MOMMA!

He went back to the clinic and did the western blot next,  We cried and screamed and read and researched all weekend.  Borders only had one book about HIV!!! (Everything you need to know for the first year handbook,)
Thankfully, its not the death sentence I'd imagined in the first days I knew he had it.  He will live.  And I will live.  But I don't know if there is enough love in the world to keep me at his side through this knowing that he could've have and very realistically DID have sex with someone else while we've been married.  

I want to beleive its the tatoo.  

We went to the YGLA and got a free oral test on Monday.  Mine was negative and his was positive (again)

I'm looking for answers, for someone to tell me: this is when and why my husband contracted hiv.  
Will his viral load tell us approx how long he's had it?  
Teak should answer your viral load questions. But I think the period he contracted it is probably anywhere between 6 weeks before his neg test last year and 4 weeks before his positive test this year...that probably doesn't help much though.
Ooops, misread that he was tested last July.

Why was he tested last July?
He must have went to a real ****** tatoo parlor.

I've had thoughts of my mother telling me I'm pos. Its weird you say that, I think thats another sign for my situation.
I am sorry if I doubted your story.

I am sorry to hear your husband has HIV. That is good news you are testing negative :)

Maybe he had HIV for years and did not know it. How do you know that he got it during the time of marriage? Do you know about his sexual past or history of drug use?
He was tested last July because I wanted us to both get tested them.  I knew I wanted to eventually have this mans children!  It just blows my mind that i didn't get it all those months of unprotected sex.  If i contracted it in the last month of unprotected sex, that would lead me to believe that he contracted it while we have been married...my head is spinning and i am putting him through hell about whether or not he is faithful.  With tears in his eyes he tells me he's not cheated on me and he doesn't know where it came from. I want to trust him, but I I have this feeling I shouldn't/  But then again, what kind of b**ch leaves her husband in sickness?  I am mostly scared.  And there is noone to talk to.  I just want answers and noone can give them to me but him.  Thanks for all the kind words guys.  I'll be back tomorrow. I have to get to bed...

Sweet dreams!  
Keep hope!
1.  Was his test confirmed by the Western Blot?  You said he took it, did he get the results already?
2.  No one will tell you for sure how he got HIV.  It is possible that he is a "closet" bisexual.  The tattoo scenario is possible, but it's not the most common way HIV is spread.
3.  I'm sorry, but to know your status for sure you'll have to wait a while.  A test taken in September (6+ weeks since last exposure) will be very accurate.  CDC recommends a test at full 3 months post-exposure.  In the meantime, the fact that you haven't got real sick is a good sign that you're fine.  Most (but not all) people get a bad flu-like illness soon after infection.

Good luck to you and your husband, I'll be here if you need me.
And I thought I had a rough week!!!
Hm.  How very odd that they told his mom his test results---bigtime HIPPA violation.  The biggest you can probably have.  And before they did the WB.  Life in OK must be very different.  Don't worry about your platelets--elevated platelets have nothing to do with HIV.  And your white count probably isn't related, either.

There is another forum LIVING WITH HIV where you will find it more appropriate to post.  Other people affected by the disease post there.

Best of luck.  
sorry about all the emotions that are flooding your head and heart right now...this is a difficult place to find yourself in.
my son was diagnosed a few months ago with HIV but his g/f tested negative out to three months.  who knows exactly "when" he got it...he just got it.  he was unfaithful to his g/f many times because of his meth addiction.  and NO ppl, he did not shoot up.  he also spent time in prison on drug charges and had several tattoos while there...and let me just go ahead and say that those needles are not sterile and just passed around like it was nothing.  but who knows?  doesn't matter...he has it.
i knew it would not take long before someone would bring up the question on whether he was bisexual...they always do.  please don't get caught up in all the drama that goes on here.
my son's g/f is now his wife.  she is a wonderful young woman who is devoting her life to a man who not only cheated on her but also has HIV.  my advice to you is to take one step at a time.  you can't fix this problem...and it won't just go away.  this is all new to you and it is going to take some time for you to accept and adjust to this.  go with him to all of his doctor's appts...get informed there first instead of reading alot of junk you will find on the internet.  then you can work on deciding exactly what you want to do about your life and the situation that he has put you in.  
there is another forum here called "living with aids/hiv".  you may not have it yourself but you are definitely living it.
i wish you luck sweetie and if you want to talk...i will be on the other forum.

kim (mother of christian HIV+)
I'm amazed in 2007 how many people think, that only gays and bisexual men get HIV and transmit it. That is one of the biggest myths about HIV that there is today.
A lot of men in prison are sexually assaulted by other men. It is very common. There was a special on it on MSNBC and I remember in high school in my criminal law class we went to the state prison to be talked to by lifers and they were telling us horrible stories about sexual assault there. Perhaps that might be one way your son contracted the virus.
It doesn't really matter how one contracts HIV. It is how one takes care of themselves and gets treatment when necessary.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/women/index.htm
Life suck
That's not an HIV concern.
Had I known I could have gotten head without a condom and it would be no risk, I would have spent half of my life enjoying BJs. BJs from girlfriends, hookers, it doesn't matter. It would all be no risk right.
yes it does happen...happens in prison and out of prison.

just not the case here...sorry.

i know it's hard for some to believe but it probably came from just good old fashioned sexual intercourse with a woman.  we did find out that one of the women that he slept with is/was hiv+.  what i don't understand is the "fascination" over how one got it.  we all know the different ways to get it...and we all know the ways you can't get it.  DOES IT REALLY MATTER?

About a month ago I got on birth control and we had unproteced sex approx. 6 times.  

Four days ago I began having a sore throat.  It moved up the next day to a stuffy nose, then sneezing, now coughing.  Its a very deep cough that rattles my chest.  My temp has been between normal and 100.3 over the last three days as well.  Are these the "flu" symotoms after ones been infected or just my wild brain making my body sick with worry?
Thanks for all the advice and support.  Like many others, I will just have to wait it out.  

I guess I'll never really know where/when he got it.  

I need to ask the Teak fella about the viral load...

Can a viral load tell us appox. how long the virus has been there?  
you dont need to become so defensive.

I am only asking how he got it because HIV is a scary disease. When someone is positive the natural reaction is to find out how it was caught. HIV transmission from female to male one time encouter is 1/2000 chance of happening. If that is truly how he caught it then he was one very very unlucky person and I am sorry that it happened to him.

And yes, it does matter how people get it. How else is HIV research conducted and statistics drawn up?
No, a viral load will not tell you how long you have had the virus. VL vary from person to person and can not be used to determine how long one may have been infected.
Dr HHH and several other articles on various medical websites do not list coughing/sneezing/stuffy nose as symptoms of ARS.

The fever with ARS is generally 101.5 and greater but can be lower. Teak will tell you that symptoms mean nothing when it comes to ARS. I had a 102 fever, sore throat, lymph node swelling and it turns out it was mono, not ARS.

I am amazed that the hospital or a public health clinic has not given you an RNA test. Those tests can check directly for the virus rather than waiting for you to create antibodies if you are positive. If you live in a small community can you find out if your nearest urban city can give you an RNA?
Thanks Teak.
You cannot symptom diagnose HIV, only a test at the proper time will give you your status. Just so you understand you many not get infected the first time nor the 50th time, but it's a guarantee if you continue to have unprotected vaginal sex with someone that is positive, you will contract it. To avoid contracting HIV use condoms with plenty of water base lube.
I will check on the RNA test.  I do live in the middle of OKC....and his father has medical clinic....you guys are really a blessing.  

I remember the first thing I wanted to do last Friday was research!  Knowledge is really POWERFUL.  Thanks to all of you guys who share your knowledge with the rest of us.  It is priceless.  

I'm going to watch a movie with my (almost out of the dog house) husband....

Goodnight everyone and have a glorious weekend!  

I have to say that you are handling this with a lot grace and calm and I admire you for that.

You are right, knowledge is power.

I am glad you are sticking by your husband, I cant imagine how devasted he must be right now. If the worst case was to happen, at least you will get thru it together.

Have a good weekend.
Didn't you get another test ??  What were your results?
A PCR RNA test is not a diagnostic test, it's a screening test to help diagnose early hiv infections. It has to be confirmed by an antibody test and then a Western Blot or IFR test. PCR RNA can give false positive results. I don't recommend using a PCR Rnd or DNA test.

That should have said PCR RNA.
Thank you for the correction.

The seattle county health dept told me they use PCR RNA tests as a diagnostic when someone has had a definite encounter with a positive person, or they are showing what truly appears to be ARS with high risk activity. So if the test comes back positive, assume its positive until antibody test proves otherwise. But if it is negative, then they said its almost undoubtful the person is negative.

I bet you will be A-ok.  I will be praying for you.  Let me know how things go. In other words, post your negative. =)

Even though I had a 6 week test.. I don't think I can rest and be confident until 3 months.  My lymph nodes underneath my arms are still sore.  I am not touching them, but they are sore.  That is kind of scaring me.

forgot to add, they told me up to 2-6% of false positives show up, so the chance of getting an false reading is low.

But i can understand how badly a false positive can affect someone.

So I think its a personal decision to take a PCR RNA and risk a false positive, or spend weeks of stress and anxiety biting your nails waiting for antibody.
I see. Thank you for finding that.

Is this the same test blood banks use?

I am going on Monday to get my 4 week test. I have decided that if it is negative, I am going to move on. I dont care what the CDC says.

But I know that I will probably end up paranoid and go for my 3 month. But if I get thru the 4 week I am confident I am negative. Dr HHH says most truly positive people will show up as so on the 25th day. I have always been part of the majority my whole life and dont see why I wouldnt be now.

I am praying I am ok.
So if I got a rapid hiv blood test.. Is that just a screening test??  What's the difference?
A rapid test is not a screening test, it's a diagnostic test, that tests for antibodies.
That's not true at all. If the test is done less than three months. Read their website.

http://www.metrokc.gov/health/apu/infograms/testing.htm
Sorry about the ignorance.  Just trying to get all of facts straight in my mind.  
Thanks!
Yes, it's a screening test, not a diagnostic test.
Some people don't get sick after being infected. I'm one of those that didn't get sick.
What made you get a test then, if you did not have symptoms?  How long did you wait?
No test out there will tell you when or how your husband was infected.
But he almost definitely got infected sometime between April'06 and June'07.
Was he ever sick in that time frame? (I mean really sick)
If he was, count back 2-4 weeks, that's when he got it.

Please be careful, use protection with him from now on.
I had to go in for a routine physical for my job and I was asked if I would like to have an HIV test which at the time was pretty new. So I said sure and he tested me. You have to realize that my Dr. was my next door neighbor and he also knew I was gay. From there its been history.
After your diagnosis, did you feel any differently?  Did you get on medication right away?  
Thank you for all of your input and putting up with my questions. I KNOW I can be annoying and can go overboard, but it's hard not to wonder and constantly think about the possibility of having it.
I'm terrified and it's so difficult having to wait.  =0(  I just want to be negative.

No, I didn't feel any different. I was a LTNP for 21 years. That means I maintained a normal cd4 count and did not need medication. In 2005 between blood tests my CD4s crashed and I ended up in the hospital with disseminated histoplasmosis and a cd4 count of around 50 which put me in the classification of Advance HIV disease or AIDS. After the past two years, still fighting the histo and my cd4 is now at 137. I was back in the hospital last year for histo and spent a couple of weeks but all in all I'm doing well. I take Atripla for HIV and Bactrum to prevent PCP and Noxfil for the histo. I also take Ritalin for fatigue.
Sorry I did misspell it. Bactrim is antibiotic used for a lot of things. It's just one that is used to prevent PCP infection.
Is Bactrum different from Bactrim?  The reason why I ask, cause the guy that did this to me was taking Bactrim.  He said it was for a sinus infection.  Is it used for more things that PCP?  Also, what is PCP?

Thanks!
Yes, it's pneumocystis carinii pneumonia.
I googled it and both spellings came up, that's why I was wondering.  Thank you for the quick response.  Oh, and I looked up what PCP infection is. It's a type o f Pnemonia (pneumonia), right?

Thanks!
Hey Guys.  I'm back with bad news.  
Western confirmed that he is positive,  All but the "p18" were confirmed. That is 7 out of 8, I think...His mother explained it this way....

The viral load (I don't understand this jargon, so forgive me if I don't report it the right way!)

143,000 copies.  (expected range under 48) <<<----don't know what this means....
and log 5,155 (expected range: 1.681) <<<<<---------again, still don't know what this means.

This is a shocker for both of us.  Especially since is he still claiming to have had a test last July.

As I understand it, a person with HIV can make it for years without their t cell dipping to this level.  Has he had it for years?  Or is his immune system just horrible making him a very easy target.

We just watched Letters From Iwo Jima.  I feel like we are those soldiers, completely out numbered and out of ammo.

Life sux, and is depressing as hell when I hear stories like yours.
Life doesn't suck! Cheer up bigdummy!  What are we gonna do?  Sit around and cry?  HELL NO!!! We're gonna LIVE!  See, we all have ONE thing in common, we will all die.  So why get all worked up because you just happen to have HIV? Cancer would be worse I think.

Take some meds, live healthy, watch your health, and viola, youre just like every one else again:  living!  
His t cells dropping to what level? You didn't give a number to his CD4  You gave a viral load number which is not unreasonably high. So what is his CD4 numbers and %.
T CELLs 139
actually I have been sitting around and crying.

Cancer for the most part is curable. Except for the terminal one ofcourse.

Good Luck miracle.
Then he has AIDS and he's had it a while for his CD4 to be at 139. Has he been to see an ID specialist? Has he been started on antibiotics and HAART? He needs to be retested to make sure the number are not a blip, but that will be left up to his ID doctor.
When you say, he's had it for a while, is it possible that he tested neg last July or is this a lie?  

We don't have any specialists in mind.  We don't have a clue where to go from here.  He's got to get treatment and vaccines NOW.  What meds should he start on?  Can his father (he's a PA) perscribe now?  There is a two month wait at the OU Medical center for infectous diseases...Will he have to wait for treatment?????  What about insurance through the gov?   There are waiting periods for all of this and he doesn't have time to wait!  What is HAART?  

I am sick....see above....I have still been coughing and wheezing all day.  I am obviously a danger to him right now.  

I have to go for a few minutes...will be back on line shortly
I'm no expert, but if he has aids, he would have had it longer than since July.
He said he got it from a tatoo needle right?

Teak if your injected with Aids, would the person get Aids or HIV?
All AIDS is, is advance HIV disease. You don't give someone AIDS you give them HIV.
1200buck a month for medicine? What the hell? And thats only 1 part of the medicine right?
The medical system is a big fu#king joke. They like people sick so they can make more money. It's disgusting.
Where are you located? Yes a PA can start him on antibiotics and HAART. Usually they are started on Atripla one pill a day, plus they will start him on bactrim to prevent PCP. A months supply of Atripla is around 1200.00 and Bactrim is around 50 bucks. He still needs to see an ID doctor asap. I can tell you more when I see where you are located.
Who has $1200 a month for medicine?

I hope I test negative, there is no way I could ever afford to even get medication.
I know.  It's VERY expensive.

I am scared again.  This suxs!
have you seen the movie Sicko?
Do you get any assistance?  What if you can not afford it.. (I could NOT afford that).  
They have gov. programs to help, but still. Thats a lot of money.

I haven't seen sicko. But nothing about those snakes who run the hospitals will suprise me. All they want is money. I  hope Michael Moore was brutal to them.
1200 is cheap compared to Noxafil that I take for histo. It's 3600 a month. This isn't the cost of Drs and lab work. You have to add that all to it.
I do get assistance for my entire medical. ADAP pays for the HIV meds and antibiotics and the Noxafil is given to me by the manufacturer, all other meds, drs and tests are paid by medicaid. If you have a job with insurance keep it. Some states have a waiting period to get on ADAP. I didn't have insurance, but had a good paying job but all that went out the window when I was told I would never be able to work again. So you go from making good money to poverty real quick. My stay at OUMC cost 575000 and CHM was 52000 and the UC stay was 75000 all in a years time. So there is some idea what you are up against with this disease.
I wouldn't stand a chance of living a happy life with all of that. I would just have to shoot myself so my family wouldn't feel the burden. I am so screwed.
I think I'm going to have to leave for the night before I start my threats again. Goodnite all.
I'm back....We've been talking...I've been yelling.  I am pissed off.  He's very upset.  He maintains that he took a test last July 2006 and it was neg.  

We are located in Oklahoma.  

Should he be going to work tomorrow?  I think its a bad idea.
He doesn't want to lose his Job though.  
He's been there for ALMOST six months....Doesn't the FMLA protect him if he has been there for 6+ months?

When you said "had it for awhile"  do you mean years?  

How long does it take a person with hiv to drop down to 139 tcells?  I read somewhere that it's approx. -100tcells per year of having it.  

I'm happy, I may not have any money, but I'm alive. That's all that matters to me. What did you think the costs of meds and labs were going to cost? Less than 50 a month? You can't even see a ID doctor for fifty let alone have lab work.
And I don't have a steady job. I am so screwed. I have nothing.
I didn't think it would be cheap, but that's really expensive.  I don't know what I'm going to do if I have contracted HIV.  
My head is spinning!
Thanks for all of your information.  

He keeps swearing he was tested last July.  

I'll call FMLA.  

His dad can get him started on the meds.  

The only good news is, if he has had it for several years, like his t cells indicate, I never got it.  I mean, I could have it from last months unprotected sex, but its unlikely that I made it this far without becoming infected....As crazy as that sounds, its what I''m going to tell myself so I can sleep tonight.  

One final question, can I get the PCR RNA  done at a regular clinic  and would it show the virus if I have it?
Several years to drop down to that level, it doesn't happen in a year. But it really doesn't matter now does it? Sitting at home isn't going to do him any good. Yes he will need to get the paperwork for FMLA to take to the doctor to fill out. Here instead of me asking your area code I'll give you the website so you can call them on monday. That will get the ball rolling.

http://www.hivcareinok.org/hivpos.htm#Q:%20Where%20can%20I%20find%20help%20in%20fighting%20HIV
If would like register at AidsMeds and send me a message over there. You can send private messages there and I can give you my email address so if you all have any questions. It's not the end of the world, just a little bump in the road. You two will make it through it. At AidsMeds I go by Rapidrod and my name is Rodney. You can post in "Some one I care about has HIV" or Living With forum and I'll get a hold of you.
If a patient does HAART will that stop HIV from progressing into full blown AIDS?
PCR RNA test is a screening test. It's not a diagnostic test. You need to have an antibody test. There are some people there that had unprotected sex and never contracted HIV so I hope you are one of them. Just make sure you two use condoms for now on.
So far HAAT has stopped the progression into AIDS. It will work until some new medications get out on the market. The chances of someone newly exposed going from HIV to AIDS is almost zilch. It's just bad when you start out with AIDS to begin with.
There are several couples there that had sex for a long while before one was diagnosised and the other remained negative. Contact Ann and she give you the whole detail. She's positive and her boyfriend isn't.
So if it does not progress to AIDS.. One can live a pretty normal life without feeling sickly??  

OMG!  I think I need to see a shrink.  
Its amazing to hear that still one can remain negative while the other being positive even they have unprotected sex. Whats the reason for that?
Yes you will be able to live a pretty normal and long life. The meds are a drag but other than that everything is going to be pretty much the same. Now don't think about quitting your day job. It's not that easy. :)
So how is that some people can contract HIV from 1 exposure and others can go years and not contract HIV.
Do you know why it's easier for some to contract it and not so easy for others???
They don't really know. It just happens sometimes.
I hope it happens in my case I don't want to contract HIV after one exposure.  Even though, there was bleeding involved with the vaginal sex.  
Is it normal to have all this anxiety.. to the point where I feel like I could have a panic/anxiety attack.
Yes, I do.  Why do you ask?
I teach 4th grade.. Are you kidding.. I would NEVER quit that job (*wink*)  
Do the meds make you feel sick?  
Do you believe in faith?
Is it normal to have anxiety and panic when worried? Of course until you been told a million times your negative then it becomes a mental issue. By the way I use to work in Dallas.
Atripla make you feel kinda dizzy and drunk, but that will usually go away. That's why you take it at night. In the mornings you'll feel okay. It may take a couple of days to get use to it.
Valtrex gave me a feeling kind of like that..

Why did you ask if I believe in faith?  I did reply, btw.  my response was yes. =0)
Because I believe that is why the partner of a positive person didn't contract it before they found out.
So are you saying I should have a little faith?  I'm so scared.  
How did you handle the news when you were told?  AND that was in the 80's.  

How long did you work in Dallas?  Do you ever go back to visit.  
I wasn't suprised by my result, I had lost 22 friends at that time to AIDS. I've never worried about it but working in the health care field I just figured when it was my time to go, then that will be it. I never looked back. I keep going strong, working every day visited my Dr annually for blood monitoring and lived a normal life as I still do. I was in Dallas for six years. I came back in 90 and I have been back once. It wasn't the same, most all my friends were gone. I do miss it though.
Wow, I admire your strength.  I've never been this scared in my entire life.  I don't know that I would handle the news lightly.  
I don't have internet at home....I've been taking my little laptop down the block and stealing internet...that's why I don't stay on here and chat.  Last night was brutal but he finally admitted that he did not have an hiv test last July.

He did call in to work today and we are on our way to the hospital.  We can't wait weeks to be seen.  

Question:  Will Atripla help him rebuild t-cells?  Will they ever be back to a healthy level?  

We are expecting him to be hospitilized so they can run lots of tests to make sure he doesn't have anything else like hep a b or c.  I have a serious lung thing going on right now (lots of thick coughing)  He's got to be under medical
attention now.  I have decided (I am now an M.D. guys...)  haha. Teak, I will contact you through out.

Thanks again for all the support
Will Atripla help rebuild his T cells? Yes but at a slow pace. It will never change his classification of having AIDS even if he goes above 500 on his CD4. He will see his VL go to undectable early. He won't be hospitalized for tests. All are blood tests and they will just take quite a few tubes of blood to run all the tests. I give anywhere from 11-18 vials of blood every three months.
If I test pos. I want your email address too. I would love to meet you in person.
Hey Teak.  Long day at the ER.  

When you find out your husband could just up and die one day, it makes you want to STOP THE WORLD and have it revolve around HIM.  ER doctors and nurses disagree.  In fact, after about four hours in the ER, we were sent home, with nothing but a phone number to a specialist who may be able to get him in soon.  It is amazing how little is known by most health care workers about aids.  
I mentioned antibiotics and was laughed at "His lungs are fine!  We did an xray!  You want us to kill him with antibiotics?  You really need to educate yourself about this young lady...."  said the triage nurse (I wanted to attack her, but instead cried helplessly.)  I said, "But his viral load is fast and his immune system is nothing!  He needs to be on atripla NOW AND ANTIBIOTICS NOW!  We're not leaving here without it!!!!"  She asked where I'd gotten my information...."Teak says so!!!!"  

True story...We left with nothing but a phone number and a ton of inaccurate information.  From the way these assholes are talking, it may be two weeks before he is seen.  

We were talking about his advanced directive---i think its called---and I just kept imagining the worst.  My husband is going to die.  And I can't do anything about it.   All the information in the world isn't helping him.  I am helpless.I am so sad.  

All the people talked to us like we were idiots.  Explaining things they didn't understand.  I was hacking and coughing the entire time.  My fever has held at 99.8 for about four days now.  I'm sick. I know I'm sick with HIV. I'm scared.  And I've been strong for so many days now but I can't keep ignoring this pain.  I married the strongest man in the world because he made me feel safe and protected, he provided for us and took care of us better than anyone ever has.  And seeing him this weak is the scariest feeling I've ever felt.  
Your a strong person.

Good Luck and God Bless
You know, calling your self bigdummy isn't very nice.  Nope! Not nice at all!  And you really appear to be a sweetie!  Thank you for your kindness.

bigsmartie!
Oh, you need to educate yourself? Apparently they don't have a clue about HIV and OIs. Wow slow down. Unless you have been tested positive you don't know ****. Understand? Did you worry about your husband that he might die in a auto crash on the way to work every day? Did you worry about him dieing of heart failure everyday? You will never get anything accomplished by worrying. Relax. Phone the ASO in your area to get an appointment.
You guys have a great day..I"m off to teach the world to make music....xoxoxoxox
I joined the other aids site you told me about....My screen name is the same.  Seeing all those tcells rising was encouraging.  

Dr. Greenfield at ou med cannot get us in until Sept.  We have a special call in from the er doc so maybe they'll bump us up to tomorrow.

We found another doctor who can get him in this Thursday.  I just wish he could go today and start meds now!!!!  I knkow three days really isn't going to matter very much..but still.  He needs the meds now.  He's got this horrible thing happening to his skin.  Even on the bottoms of his feet.  It almost looks dry but they are more like little round cold sores all over his legs, trunk, arms an real patchy on his face and scalp.  I hope its not KS.  I'M SUCH A WORRY WART.
If he can get in thursday that will be okay fine.
Hey there.  It has over a month and I just wanted to up date you.  I have been testing neg. as of 55 days post exposure.  I think I'm going to get out of this one alive.  That is, I married a liar and a cheater and it's all catching up with him now.  We are currently seperated and I don't feel bad for a second.  Turns out he WAS NEVER TESTED and knew he had been exposed by one of his old BOYFRIENDS.  He had TWO affairs while we were together and SHARED NEEDLES throughout his entire drug exsistence.  Boy was I the fool or what?  When you love someone...you just really want to trust them....dang  

Good news for him though: one month of atripla= cd4s went from 115 to 189 and VL went from 143,000 to 800.  Good for him!  He's gonna live a long life....Only the GOOD die young.  

Happy happy joy joy...I escaped hell and still have my beautiful baby boy.  

I was afraid it was something like that.  His story just didn't make sense.

I'm so thrilled for you.  You still have a bit of a ways to go before you are in the clear, but your results are very encouraging.  Best of luck to you in the future, and keep us posted.  Stay strong.
I am new on here and I just read your whole thread and wow what an experience. I am glad you are still negative, and finally got the truth.

tg
Miracle24,  I am gay.  I know first hand, from being in online chat rooms, and in the community in general, that there are MANY MANY MANY men who live on the 'down low'.  Married men who have sex with men.   Gay.com  is chock full of these "married closeted bi" men.  Does your husband travel around for business often, or at all?  Does he go on trips out of town alone without you?  You're trying to figure out how he got HIV.  Perhaps there's more to this story.  I am glad to hear that your HIV results are negative.  You probably dodged the bullet!  It is probably too late to hire a private detective to follow him around (if he's been up to something, i'm sure he stopped doing it with his HIV+ diagnosis).  This 'down low' thing is a disturbing and still very little known about thing going on.  Not to gross any of you out, but i happened to chat with a married man who told me "i am a slut when i go out of town"  He had a webcam on in our chat on yahoo messenger, and allowed me to watch him have sex with a random man in his hotel room.  Trust me, i have FIRST HAND experience with the married gay thing.  I've seen that type before.  i just thought i'd give you some food for thought.  peace
Hi Miracle, i posted the previous post BEFORE i read yours that he got exposed from one of his old BOYFRIENDS!  haha.....honest to God truth right there.  my suspicions of him being gay were confirmed after i posted that message to you.. all i had to do was scroll up and read.  I was right!  you take care, and if you need MAN advice.  You can always talk to me.  I AM ONE, FOR REAL! and i know a lot about them, as i deal with them on the relationship level myself. haha...later
I was sure he was bisexual as soon as I heard the tattoo story... Hey, people lie all the time... I'm so happy that you're OK and finally moving on!  Good for you.
God Bless You Miracle24. I wish you well in everything. Keep us post.
wow, congrats on the negative testing :) what a story, its so sad to see someone deceive a person like that. Im sorry you had to experience that. Look on the bright side, you are negative and there are plenty of other fish (straight and faithful too) out there :)
Oh man, what a story? Thanks GOD you did dodge the HIV bullet. As David20 said. God bless you Miracle 24. What happen to you was a miracle!!!
WHOA!!!! Is all I can say.

Make sure you give thanks to God for sending those angels down to protect and watch over you.You didn't dodge a bullet,that was God right there over you.

Take care of you and that precious lil boy.
Thanks for your valuable testimony.  People lie all the time when it comes to their sex life.  That's why nobody should assume anything about their partners, everyone should undergo HIV testing on a regular basis.
I just read this entire thread, it's a compelling story. I'm so glad that you tested negative, and that you're not at risk anymore. I just had an HIV antibody test done recently, and I go in on the 14th of this month to get the results. My main concerns are that of being cheated on in the past by this one girl. I've been paranoid about many other things, as some people on this forum have had to deal with me about.  :)
Still in denial I see.
hello every one i just want to thank dr ogba for what he has done for me
before i was hiv positive so i was confuse i din't know what to do as i was browsing i saul how he help someone in curing his aids so i contact him and he told me not to worry that every thing will be fine that i should just give him two days and he told me what to do and after two days he ask me tio go for test to my greates suprase me that was hiv positive before i was now hiv negetive i'm very happy now so if you are in this condiction contact him on his email ***@****
Please stop sharing such misleading posts. This is not more than a cheap attempt of advertising by a quack. A confirmed positive person can not turn negative in two days, No Way, No How.

As of today, there is no cure for HIV is known to mankind, tomorrow may be, we know it, but not today. Virus once entered and infected a person, can not be eradicated and the person has to live with it for rest of his/her life.

The only significant success medical science achieved so far, is the development of ARV medication, which is a treatment, not cure but helping people to live with the disease in a better way