HIV Prevention Community
Why was my first test reported as NR Reference Range?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Now that I got my second test, there's a question no one could answer. Why did the first test say the ELISA was "Reactive: Antibody detected   [Reference Range=NR]"
What gives? Why'd it say "antibody detected" if the same test said the Reference Range was non-reactive?
what was your exposure?...to a male or female?
Does it sound like it was barely reactive, but too faint to be considered weakly reactive, or probably human error? It doesn't make sense to me and the counsellors I talked to could not answer.
I remember you.  You said you had a false positive HIV test, with a negative Western Blot.

The normal result on the Elisa would be NR, or Non Reactive.  Yours was Reactive, meaning the antibody was detected.  If you had a Western Blot that was negative at the appropriate time, you had a false positive Elisa.

(The Reference Range on a test is the normal, expected result.  NR means Non Reactive.  So the expected result was NR, and you were reactive.  Falsely, it turns out.  )

Reference range is just the "normal range" of the assay.
Yours was outside the "normal range", hence the result was interpreted as positive.

Look, you have no reasons to worry at this point.  There is overwhelming evidence now that your original test was a false positive.  You don't have HIV.

By the way, incidents like yours are exactly the reason why I don't recommend anyone to test after single low-risk exposures.  Your decision to take an HIV test was a mistake.
I am glad I tested. I would have still been worried if I had not tested. My only regret is taking the oral swab test the first time. I would have refused an oral test if I knew about the false positive rates of oral tests. The second test was a full panel BLOOD test, which tested for everything, so I know I'm clean of other things.
Oh yes man, rapid tests are notorious for that, especially oraquicks.  I wish you had mentioned it earlier... Either way, it's all over, congrats on your results!
How about false negatives?
As far as I know, no significant difference in that regard - same window period rules apply of course
Yes it is good you tested. Low risk does not mean NO risk. You never tell someone NOT to test because of having a low risk. Testing is the only way to find out ones status. A confirmative test is in place for a reason. To make sure your orginal test is a true positive. It doesn't matter if it was a rapid test or a conventional ELISA test both can give false positive results.