HIV Prevention Community
Will a regular blood test pick up on HIV?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

At the end of 2009, I was really really really stupid. I went through a phase of casual indiscriminate sex with anyone I felt like, and had sex with a few fellow university students that I met during nights out a few times. The particular instance I'm concerned about occurred at the end of November. I was extremely drunk (stupid, stupid, stupid; I know never to behave this way again) and carelessly engaged in sex without a condom, figuring that since I was on the pill, I wouldn't get knocked up. STDs hadn't really occurred to me in that state.

Around 3rd week of January 2010, I woke up one morning with an extremely sore throat. I felt weak and feverish and could barely lift myself out of bed. When I went to the doctor after a couple of days, he told me I had strep throat, which made sense because I'd woken up with it the morning after I'd kissed somebody new. It cleared with antibiotics in less than a week, and I didn't think to worry. Only now am I worrying that it could have been a symptom of HIV.

Furthermore, in early May, I noticed a bump on the back of my neck. I felt no unusual symptoms; there was just the weird bump. When I went to my family physician, she told me it was a swollen lymph node, and sent me up to the lab to get a blood test done. The next week, she told me the blood test had detected mononucleosis, but apparently a very mild case because I'd had no symptoms whatsoever.

I'm wondering if the blood test would have detected HIV if I'd been infected? And is it suspicious that I had mono without having any symptoms besides the lymph node? I know HIV is typically asymptomatic for several years and I realize that I should get tested just in case because there's really no way of knowing until I do, so in addition to suggesting that, I'd just like a second opinion on my case.
* And is there any relationship with mononucleosis and HIV? Is it possible to mix up the two in a blood test?
Only an HIV test will detect HIV.
There is no relationship between Mono and HIV.