HIV Prevention Community
Worried NURSE!!

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Worried NURSE!!

Hi, About 6months ago, I had an exposure to HIV, the pt was HIV (+), I was drawing the pt's blood and the pull the butterfly needle back when i had finish filling the blood tubes. As i reached to throw the needle away it scratch my forearm. No bleeding was produced and the scratch was all superficial. I have had symptoms here and there, but i belive its form just any other bacterial infection. I had a 5 week negative HIV test. I been so worry, and am so scared to take another one. So how conclusive is a 5week negative HIV test. I been told that if were infected anti-bodies should had began to show @ 3-4wks after exposure!! PLS help!!
You were never at risk. If you didn't jab the  needle in your vein you were not at risk.
So how conclusive can you say my 5wk test was?
I've also had a needle stick exposure, mine was in the shin area.
Symptoms are not a good indicator of infection.
This happened six months ago and you were tested 5 weeks ago (6 weeks /5 weeks) so your fine. I would advise test for hep a/b/c, just in case but probably not a concern right teak?

Most show up pos @ 30 days/ the next set show up between 6-8 weeks and almost all @ 12 weeks. Sorry about misunderstanding that you stated that you tested negative 6 months ago @ the five week mark after you were exposed. You could test @ 12 weeks just to put yourself @ ease Buttenss22. I'm sure you will be hiv negative.
You didn't have a risk and you didn't need to test. If you had a concern you would have taken your concern to the person that deals with occupational exposures. Or is that what you did and they told you, that you didn't have a risk?
I have gotten tested for only Hep B/C and also had Hep b series done. Everthing on the bloodwork was Negative! Am just a lil freaked out!!!
NO I didnt talk 2 anyone in occupational Ex. I think I just need to get enough guts to get tested and put my mind to ease! since that day I have been Overly stressed, and everything that happens to me (symptoms) I always think that i may have it!