HIV Prevention Community
Worried about my blood test today

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Worried about my blood test today

Ok so I went to Sharp for routine blood work .The lab technician who drew my blood didn't seem too professional. I know I should have spoken up but did not. Here is the scenario:

At the beginning she had a glove on her right hand . The left hand was not gloved . I can't remember if the glove on her right hand was a clean glove, or if she had been wearing it already when she came to draw my blood. Anyways, so with one glove on the right hand and nothing on the left she proceeded to take out a needle from the drawer and get the gauze ready

She took out an antiseptic wipe (still only wearing one glove) and wiped my arm over the area where  she was going to draw blood . Then AFTER wiping my arm with the antiseptic she put her left iindex finger (the hand WITHOUT a glove on ) and pressed down on my vein (i guess checking to see if its a good vein) . So she basically touched my skin with her bare hand AFTER wiping my skin with the wipe. She had not washed her hands before helping me.  She didn't bother to rewipe my arm after that.

Then she finally got around to putting on a glove for her left hand, drew blood, and put the vials on the counter. Then she didn't bother to take off her gloves before taking the piece of paper for my lab order to the front desk! . If she didn't take off her gloves after helping me, she has probably helped other patients and then didn't remove her gloves too!

im just so worried that i might have gotten HIV or some other blood-born illness from this because I can't be sure if the glove she had on when she first started was a fresh one (i wasn't paying attention) and then she touched my arm with her bare finger after disinfecting my arm, which could introduce pathogens on the skin that could then get in my bloodstream when she stuck the needle in. I need ADVICE please!
No risk, once HIV virus is exposed to the air it will become inactive/uninfectious immediately.
Are you sure? i dont think HIV dies immediately once exposed to air
You never had a risk.
I dont mean to question your answer, but my thoughts were what if there was HIV virus on her finger that couldn't be seen , but then it got transferred to my arm cause she stuck the needle in  right after she touched my arm...?
...if the virus could survive on fingers, we'd all have HIV.