HIV Prevention Community
Worry

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Worry

Dear Dr.,

I have a female friend, who tested negative for HIV two days ago and she is worried that it was false-negative.

Here is her situation:

She has a realtionship with a man for two years and four months. During that time, they lived in two different cities, they usually meet 4 times per year, and each meeting lasts for two days only.

The first year, they never had unprotected sex. The second year however, they had unprotected sex with vaginal ejaculation in the 4 times they had met (they usually had sex 6 times during the two days meeting).

In early DEC 2007 they had sex then by DEC 15 they broke up, she never had sex ever since that time. Although she trusted her ex-boyfriend to be faithful, she tested for HIV two days ago and got negative. Also she contacted her ex-boyfriend and asked him if he tested recently and he told her that he tested negative for HIV in OCT 2008.

Although she has no real illness since DEC 2007, and given that she had no sex during the past 11.5 months. Does this negative result is enough or she needs futher test. It is important to say that her doctor told her that window period can last for 12 months and that's why she is worried

As far as I know, that window period for HIV is 6 weeks to 3 months (99% of the cases) and rarely last for 6 months. So I would appreciate an answer so she can read what the expert says on her case, although I'm sure she is ok, but she seems confused with her doctor's comments on window period and she seems doubt my knowledge as I'm not medical doctor.

Looking forward for your early reply.

Best wishes,

H. H. A. (PhD environmetal microbiology)
Her 3 month test was conclusive.