HIV Prevention Community
accuracy of oraquick test

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

accuracy of oraquick test

Hi everyone. I would appreciate your opinion on the following topic. I had a high risk exposure (anal sex after which I saw blood and the person partially ejaculted in me) on the 20th of September and got tested 40 days after that(so 5 and half weeks later)- on the 30th October with the Oraquick swab test at a clinic. They said to come back at the 3 month period but I think I will come back sooner. It came back negative but I am so scared because I developed a rash since last week which is ongoing and does not itch on my trunk and chest. It looks like the rash from the internet pictures of an hiv rash. Also, two weeks after the exposure I had headaches but no fever and no swollen limfs. However, I have had a dry cough for over 3 weeks now..I will get tested again in a month but until then I can not think of anything else than that I got HIV.
So my question is what are the possibilities of an rapid hiv test to show positive after being negative at almost 6 weeks past exposure? Thank you for any advice and words of comfort.
3 months is when you can obtain your conclusive test result.
thank you for your reply but why do people then write that around 6 weeks is unlikely to change? and also, would I be experiencing these symptoms and not show positive?
"but why do people then write that around 6 weeks is unlikely to change?'

Because most infections would be caught by then. But "most" is not "all" .
To truly shut the door and move on you will have to re-test at 12 weeks.