HIV Prevention Community
begging for an answer

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

begging for an answer

hello,

I got a drop of semen in my eye about 10 days ago (from trans-csw), if he were positive what are my chances of infection ??? Our sex was protected, but unfortunately I got some semen in my eye.
I saw Doctor Hook expressing concern for a similar scenario on the expert forum. I'm going crazy. Can someone please help me. What do I do ????
Can you show me this link to that post because everything I have read from the Dr's is no risk.

It is no risk as you need more then a little of something, also it most likely did not get in your eye.
thank you Vance for your kind answer
here is the link:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV---Prevention/semen-in-eye/show/437767

Vance i'm sure i got a tiny drop in my eye,, please tell me what to do
Vance i'm so sorry but i already have acid reflux and the anxiety is driving me insane and i feel as though i have a gallon of battery acid in my stomach now. can i resume life without putting others at risk ???
Vance I mean no disrespect, but can anyone else please give me some reassurance, Teak ? Lizzie Lou ? Nursegirl ?
Well I am in no position to disagree with Dr.Hook on this. So I am not going to be of much help, while others with more experince might be.
Vance, I showed you the link as you requested, why didn't you answer me ?
Yeah, be patient I'm not here every second.
I'm sorry I just read it. Vance I don't have the means to pay on the expert forums and I am almost on the brink of tears in a coffeenet.. please tell me from your experience how much trouble I'm in
Reread my reply.
The first reply -NO RISK- ( or the ones after )

If you were me would you personally get tested ?
"Well I am in no position to disagree with Dr.Hook on this. So I am not going to be of much help, while others with more experince might be."
Vance, thank you for being so patient with me.

this is my last question, how can I get an answer from Teak and the others without having my post forgotten and unread ???
Just have to wait and see if someone else answers. If you see them on then send them a message.
Welcome back to the forum.  However, based on your previous questions both here and on the STD forum, it seems you are overly concerned about low risk exposures.  Here is all you need to know about avoiding HIV and other STDs:  do not have unprotected vaginal, anal or oral sex with new or unknown partners without using condoms; and do not share drug injection equipment with other people.  That's it.  If you follow that guideline, and no other, you can expect to never catch HIV or other STDs.

There are no data on the risk of HIV from semen exposure to the eyes.  However, among the millions of people with HIV world wide, nobody has been known or suspected to have caught HIV from semen in the eye.  I cannot say the risk is zero, but obviously it is extremely low.  And you describe a partner who seems to give reliable evidence he doesn't have HIV anyway.
A drop of semen in your eye isn't anything to be concerned about (in MY opinion).  I'm with Vance in that I'm in no position to disagree with the doc's advice, but I do think there are probably a lot of simple explanations as to why he seemed more concerned in that thread.....

I understand that you're worried after reading Dr. Hook's reply, but I would GUESS that the reason he seems to be more concerned (certainly more concerned than any other reply I've seen on this topic) is because the poster described initially a "splash" which could indicate a larger amount of semen.  Also, obviously, the poster reported that his partner was indeed infected.  ANY time a person asks a question that has to do with a KNOWN infected partner, there is usually a slightly more conservative answer, to be on the safe side.  Makes complete sense.

Beyond that, you'd really have to post in the expert forum and ask the doctors directly for clarification, and if YOUR situation is something they would recommend testing for.  It's probably well worth the $22 for you to get that clarification.
Hello Nursegirl and thank you for that detailed answer,,
I feel MUCH MUCH better.

I've been looking through the forum and it seems that even Doctor Hansfield states that there is no data that proves someone has actually been infected with SEMEN in the eye.

I think I'm gonna put this behind me and I don't think I'm going to be the first to contract HIV this way.
I've haven't seen you, Teak, Lizzie Lou or the others ever advise testing for this kind of exposure and I'm sure if there was a substantial risk I would have been told to get tested.

Once again thank you Nursegirl, Vance2335 and Sad76 (the link was very helpful)

I can't say a BIG ENOUGH thank you.

I swear this is the last time I'll ask. Teak do you think I need testing ???
I won't take any more of thew forum's time.
You do not have an HIV concern.