HIV Prevention Community
compounded confusion

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

compounded confusion

Hi Doc.

I hope you are well.

I am stuck in a very complicated situation and desperately need your guidance.

On 23rd February, I met a girl with whom I engaged in heavy french kissing, and suck her breasts and bit her nipples while fingering her vagina; at this point I was unaware of her status (HIV). I did not engage in full sexual intercourse (penis insertion). We did it at least 5 or 6 times.

My concerns are as follows:

1. I have eczema on my fingers; what is the risk of contracting HIV from her vaginal fluids.
2. While deep french kissing, could i have had gotten infected.
3. my lips are cracked as well, which i am very scared about.

Once I realized the trouble I had gotten myself in to, I quickly requested the girl to take an HIV test (CIMA/ VDRL - TPPA) which she took and they both came out negative. But I am still concerned that she could have been in the window period.

To further make myself comfortable, I went in for a  PCR test at 28 days along with a HIV DUO Combi (i think P 24 Ag is also involved here) and they both thanks to God came back negative. Unfortunately these tests are done far away, so my blood sample would have to be taken to a remote facility over two days, I am unsure about how the samples were kept and what procedures were followed, would this impact the test outcomes?

Good doctor, please advise what else i need to do to rest my concerns, it is badly affecting my daily life. Do i need to wait for an additional 6 months and redo the tests to make sure.

I am extremely concerned.

Thank you,
You never had an exposure in the situations you've provided.
Hi Teak!

I was hoping you answer, your insight is much helpful. When you say I never had any exposure, do you mean that the activities I described carry zero risk of transmission??

And do u think the PCR test at 28 days is conclusive to rest my fears.

Hope others will also contribute to the post.
Zero.
so do u think I should do a retest at the 3 months or 6 months mark??

And should i take a PCR, ELIZA, ECLIA, CMIA whihc one?

Thanks,

Move along, you were just advised you never had an exposure and then you come back with do I need to retest.. No risk is no risk, no testing needed.
Anybody else like to add something that can help relieve my concerns.

Thanks,

sexually speaking...HIV transmission REQUIRES penetration.  it happens INSIDE the body, when a penis is inside a vagina / anus.

you had NO risk, as teak advised
Hi Lizzie,

Thanks for your response. but everywhere i look on the internet it says that kissing, and breast biting carries risk for HIV transmission. Why do you reckon is there a difference in opinion.

You and Teak are doing hella job keeping it straight up.

Thanks..
"It is easy to be confused about the risk of HIV associated with breast milk.  Many educational websites and other resources list exposure as a risk, because infants can be infected by nursing.  But those sources rarely tell the full story.  Among babies nursed by HIV infected mothers, only about 10-15% catch HIV; and typically it takes 6 months before they become infected -- all the time swallowing several ounces of milk ever day.

Given that low infectiousness, what can the risk possibly be through exposure to a drop or two?  The fact is that breast milk has never once been implicated as the source of sexually acquired HIV, or of a new HIV infection in any human being except nursing babies."  DR HANDSFIELD / MEDHELP

"Kissing is no risk, even deep ("French") kissing and even with a person who sores on their mouth or has gum or dental disease."   DR HOOK

"Of course no risk. HIV is not transmitted by kissing, even with sores in the mouth.

Despite the billions of kissing events in the AIDS era, not one case of HIV has been known to be transmitted that way, even though millions of those kisses undoubtedly were with cuts in the mouth or on the lips."  
DR HANDSFIELD
Lizzie,

God bless you :)

Hi Lizzie,

I just scavenged the internet and find so many conflicting opinions!! some websites claim that it can spread through fingering, kissing and biting nipples?

Do you think this is due to lack of research on the subject and absent information on modes of transmission.

also does the chance increase if blood is involved?? as it enters the mouth (where they could be cuts etc..)

Just making a point.

Thanks,

not going to spend our time disputing what other websites say.

i'm sure if you search the web you will find sites that say the world will end tomorrow.

get off the internet...accept your status...and move on with your life.