HIV Prevention Community
contaminated venipuncture site

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

contaminated venipuncture site

Had blood drawn from vein in arm for routine bloodwork. The nurse taped a dry cotton ball {no alcohol} to the hole left in the vein of my arm following the venipuncture and I was immediately taken to an office where there was another nurse who was stationed in this office and she  removed the cotton ball,, from my arm which was still slightly bleeding. She then removed a stetho-scope from her labcoat pocket and placed the disc of the stetho-scope directly over the hole in my vein which was still slightly bleeding so she could monitor my blood pressure {again no alcohol was used} I saw an emaciated looking man who was just in front of me coming out of this office I had been led into.. I was concerned that if this nurse had used this same stetho-scope on his bleeding venipuncture site {not using alcohol} and he was hiv positive that his blood could have gotten on the stetascope disc  that was used on me as it was the same nurse who had just attended to this man. If his blood had been transferred from his venipuncture wound onto the stetho-scope disc which was then used shortly afterward or less {or hypothetically immediately} to take my blood pressure directly over the hole in the vein of my arm which was still slightly bleeding what are my chances of getting hiv from him? I will appreciate very much any responses to this as I am quite worried about it. Thank you.
HIV is not spread this way

HIV is contracted through direct Sexual contact with an infected person.

You had no exposure.

Please relax there is no chance you can get HIV this way, just not possible

Take  care, stop worrying please
Please may I get more responses? been -there 123 thank you so much. Could I get a little further info from anyone else? I need to know why I could not get it this way as it would be blood to open hole in my vein. Thank you so very much for understanding.
HIV is a very weak virus and become inactive outside a human host. not dead just inactive. HIV cannot replicate outside the body. Some viruses have a protein envelope that protect it while in the air. HIV does not. It must have a cell to bond with and replicate.

Even if your doctors stethoscope was drenched in HIV infected blood, you would be completely safe. HIV is not transmitted in this way.

HIV is passed from unprotected penetrative sex and direct  exposure i.e. from a needle, or from mother to child during breast feeding

You are 100% completely safe from HIV according to your given situation.

Please try to put this HIV thing out of you mind as clearly you are over thinking.
ZERO chance of hiv infection and been_there explained why-so reread his answers.This is a case of OCD not HIV and i mean that with every respect to you.Seek some help for it.All the best.
Thank you both for your kind and informative responses. I do have this awful ocd thing and it focuses on an hiv phobia. I get these worries in my head which I can't seem to shake.  It is sheer torment.
We have an OCD community here on medhelp,why don,t you join it and get some advice which could really help you.Just a thought.