HIV Prevention Community
dead bodies

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

dead bodies

can hiv be transmitted by handling the dead bodies. as in religious way the dead body has to be taken bath by most of the relatives and noone is taking the precaution such as wearing gloves as such. after that the dead body is burnt near the lake or river and in same river the ashes of the dead body is givenup
The virus needs a LIVE host to survive. Nobody has ever contracted HIV through ritual burials such as those you have described. It is only transmitted through unprotected vaginal or anal sex or sharing needles with a (living) person.

I guess I should have said: a (living) person who is infected with the virus.
but i have read that person dying with hiv has a tremondous amout of infectious virus he is dying because of many disease, and that fluid is really dangerous and in corpse it can survive upto 12 to a5 days so at the time of death the body fluid and secretion came out it is washed during bathing plz give me the detils if u can plz sir
in NARI SITE THEY HAVE WRITTEN THAT NO ATTEMPT SHOULD BE MADE TO BATH DEAD BODIES AS IN RELIGIOUS WAY. UNIVERSAL SAFTEY PRECATION SHOULD BE TAKEN WHILE HANDLING THE DEAD BODIES CAN U DISCUSS SOMEONE WITH THIS ISSUE AS MY PARENTS ARE REGULARLY ATTENDIN THE DEATH CEREMONY ANYONE WHO IS DEAD AS A SOCIAL WORKER
What you read was incorrect. The virus can only survive under the physiological conditions of a living body. Once death ensues, the virus would be inactivated with changes in temp, pH, etc. that would occur.

To put it another way, even if you were handling body fluids and secretions of a living person infected with HIV, there would still be no risk for the same reason- the virus cannot survive outside of a living host.

I can assure you there is no HIV risk from anything that you have described. Regarding other infectious agents that would be present in a rotting corpse, I am not as certain.
"UNIVERSAL SAFTEY PRECATION SHOULD BE TAKEN WHILE HANDLING THE DEAD BODIES "

That obviously makes sense but for the last time, to answer your specific question, no HIV risk even if such precautions are breached.
Sorry, I have no references. I am only going by what I understand about the biology of the virus and the biology of death, and from what I understand it would be impossible for there to be any infectious virus present in a corpse. For example, during necrosis, cells spill their contents and release proteolytic enzymes and acid from vacuoles. The virus is extremely fragile and could not survive these changes.

I am entirely sure that both doctors on this site would agree and I vaguely remember a question posed from someone working in a funeral parlor in which the assessment was no risk, but unfortunately I could not find the thread.

You will just have to take my word for it or believe whatever the nari people tell you. I really have nothing more to say. I was going to just dismiss your post since it is quite odd on the surface but read that you live in India, so answered out of respect for your culture.

Good luck.
* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusive negative results or a no-risk situation will be based up the criteria MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.
sorry but i wanna expert suggestion as of like Dr. Handsfield's suggestion , i m really worried and i need to sort it out. whats the procedure  to ask them
Go to the Expert Forum HIV Prevent and pay your money.
When handling dead bodies, Universial Precautions should be utilized but not specifically due to HIV