HIV Prevention Community
duo test at almost 6 weeks

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

duo test at almost 6 weeks

I had a duo test done at just a day or two shy of 6 weeks after a moderate to high risk encounter. they said it detects both the antigin and antibodys in hiv. it came out non reactive on both. how good of an indicator is this that i will be hiv free later on? I am about 2 weeks short of 3 months when i will get another test done but i am still having headaches, some groin pain, and a sore throat. please give me two or three good opinions so i won't bug you all much. thank you.
Thought you said your last unprotected sex was in March.
yes you are correct but after talk to  my friend the other day i found out that the last time we had fun was actually about the second week in april. i am actually a couple of days  over the 3 month period sorry i put short. i am just scared to get my test coming up just wanted to ease my mind a little. thank you
3 months is RELIABLE and CONCLUSIVE...proving that you dont have hiv.

until you are in a monogamous relationship where BOTH of you have tested...ALWAYS use condoms for penetrative vaginal / anal intercourse.  sex lasts a few minutes...HIV LASTS A LIFETIME ! ! ! ! !
6 weeks HIV DUO is highly encouraging but not conclusive.

Fourth generation ELISA test sensitivity is >99.5% and specificity >99% to both B and non-B subtypes. If a person has taken the test at the 6 week post exposure. HIV DUO test is said to be best 6 weeks after the exposure.

A negative results on 6 weeks by 'Fourth Generation ELISA for HIV1/2'
would mean that you would have extremely extremely....extremely low chances to be HIV+ in 12/13 weeks .

However 12/13 week antibody testing is compulsory for conclusive results.

Always use condom properly and never share needles.
-Chirag
Thank you very much this last few months have been a blur and has had me very stressed. I will be going in to get my 3 .5 month test either tomorrow or monday. i have changed my lifestyle and will never again put myself or others in harms way just for an hour of fun. thank you all for your information i really do appreciate it.
I'm not very knowledgeable about all the testing, I just go off of what others say on this forum. Take comfort in what they tell you, they have helped me out tremendously. I found this on the website, from one of the doctors....so maybe this will help calm you down, it did for me.

___________

Responding to the title you selected for this thread, before reading the question itself, a negative duo test 4 weeks after exposure is virtually 100% proof you didn't catch HIV.  The details of your question are unlikely to change that judgment.

Now I have read the rest.  Guess what?  First, you can be very sure your excort partner doesn't have HIV. When CSWs insist on condoms, it usually means they are HIV negative and trying to stay that way.  After all, CSWs generally are at higher risk of HIV from their customers than the other way around.  Second, even if she had HIV and you had not used a condom at all, the chance of transmission in such circumstances averages once in every 2,000 exposures; it would be even lower given the brief time of exposure after the condom failed.

Third, as suggested above, I agree with your doctor about reliability of the duo test at 4 weeks.  99% probably is about right.  All things considered -- the low chance your partner had HIV, the low risk of transmission, plus the negative duo test -- for all practical purposes it is impossible that you have HIV.  But if your doctor's reassurance and mine don't completely resolve your fears, feel free to have another test now or at 8 weeks.  "My whole world is collapsing at the fear of a retest"???  That is an irrational overreaction.  You don't even need it, but if you go ahead, it will be negative.

____