HIV Prevention Community
expired condom

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

expired condom

I had sex 6 weeks ago with a Prostitute in Bosnia.

It was insertive vaginal sex, i used a protection .But unfortunately i didnt bring my own condom , and used the one she gave me. The sex was 10 mins oral and 2 mins of vaginal insertive.

After sex i saw the expiry date on the condom was 2009, i checked the condom with water,to check the holes or water leak but couldnt find anything.

Also there was no indication saying if the condom was latex , there was only lot number:

i checked the brand online and found only one link , it was a small company that produces condoms,

Right now i have swollen glands but small ones, no fever, or anything else, feeling physically good. But so worried

What should i do, and i am so worried to get tested, fearing so much
As long as the condom didn't fail which it didn't, you never had an exposure.
But what if the condom is not latex and it still doesnt fail, and the viruses pass from the microscapic holes?

am i too stressed because my biggest concern is if the condom is lates or other kinds that suits the standards

am i too stressed because my biggest concern is if the condom is not latex or other kinds that suits the standards and it is a cheap condom
Teak if you can answer my last question, i would appreciate, you are the man
You didn't use a natural condom and condoms don't have microscopic holes
I just saw one of your posts on the past forum topics

you said to a guy who had sex with a Chinese condom at Thailand

``As long as the condom was use Latex, Polyurethane or Polyisoprene and didn't fail you were never at risk.``

On my question , i asked you that i used an expired condom that was an unknown brand in Bosnia, and it was not saying if it was Latex or Polyurethane or Polisoprene ,the condom did not fail , i checked after sex with water?

But no information if it s latex or polyurethane or polisoprene, but pretty sure it was not natural condom  ,because i guess they are expensive and a sex worker wouldnt use that ,but the condoms were expired 2009 , and there was only lot number written.

Should i get tested?

I know this is frustrating for you , but pls forgive me,
You did not use a natural condom and the condom you used did not fail. You had no risk.
The ONLY condom that wouldn't protect you from HIV in an intact state, would be a natural, or lambskin condom.  You wouldn't miss it...they look very different, and feel different.  Google a picture.

While using an expired condom isn't a great idea because you are risking a condom break..yours didn't, so you have nothing to worry about.  You could use a condom that was a 100 years old...as long as it didn't break, you're fine.  They don't wear down or anything over time, to let the virus seep in.  If it's not broken, it worked...end of story.

You didn't have a risk and do NOT need testing.