hiv from food
hello,

I was at a chinese restuaraant with my collegues as we were eating and waiting for the next dish to be served, i placed my chopstick on the holder next to me on the table, as my collegue was reaching for some food on the table, his arm contacted with my chopstick for a while, I took and chopstick and continue eating.

i saw he has a very bad skin condition with rashes and wound all over his arm, my concern is if there was some blood from his wound and i continue to eat with the chopstick 2 minutes later and i got a wound in my mouth due to wisdom tooth surgery extraction (about 5 days old), any risk?

I read that 3 cases infant got hiv from prechew food with mother with bleeding gum and baby with sore in mouth, wont i be at risk like that?

thanks
You were never at risk from food or eat utensils.
hi teak

But why there are 3 cases of infant gettting infected when the mother prechew food for them, ithought hiv cannot remain infectious outside the host?

thanks
Infants and young children do not have a mature immune system and are not able to fight off many diseases. YOU are not a infant.
thanks for your time and explanation,

but just one more point to clear my doubt, if hiv is not infectious outside the body, why has it got to do with immune system, if the virus is already cannaot attach to the body T-cells, then the baby would not have caught it in the first place

correct me if i am wrong
if you are comparing your situation to a mother prechewing food...you have deep issues going on ! !  you might be better served on the OCD FORUM...as you do NOT have a hiv concern.
Yes you are right my risk is much lower

but just want to understand why the infant can catch the virus if it is not infectious  when the food leave the mother mouth, just curious..any opinons?
any opinion how this happened base on what we understand on hiv survivability outside body
3 cases out of over 900,000 infected people only one case out of the three was confirmed. The other two were not because their mother was HIV positive. More than likely they were born with HIV.