HIV Prevention Community
hiv in a syringe

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

hiv in a syringe

Hello and please don't mock me for asking this question.

I have read on this forum that being poked by a syringe is not enough that actual injecting needs to take place right?

what i wanted to know then was if there is a needle syringe lying around which has been used in the past has been used but it was pushed into your arm - syringe being pushed down would this be a risk? i have to state the needle has been there for about a year? I am asking this on behalf of my ,mate who is extremlely nervous but has difficulty reading and writing.

sorry also forgot to ask how long can blood survive in a syringe? if it has been injected? thanks
poked is different from injecting. Injecting means that the needle and whatever is inside it has penetrated into your bloodstream.

I highly doubt that it was a risk. While there have been studies that HIV can live for minutes, years would have killed off the fragile virus.
thank you kannion 1989 anyone else opinions would really be appreciated thank you
If he doesn't share needles for drug use or work in a medical care setting then he has no risk for HIV
thanks, but i think maybe the question has been interpreted

i guess logically my friend was struck with a needle where the syringe was pushed into him,
i am assuming its like injecting, my question was that that needle we believe had been there for a 8 months or so my question was also if there was blood etc in it would the virus had died ?
...when injecting drugs, blood is mixed...there was most likely nothing in the syringe or whatever was in there, was unactive and unable to infect your mate
Thanks guys, a comment or answer from teak would really give me some clarification?