HIV Prevention Community
hiv in breast milk

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

hiv in breast milk

I was stupid enough to have an encounter with a lactating masseuse a week ago and am pretty sure she got breast milk on my penis.  to make matters worse I had a small cut on my penis as well.  I have seen dr Handsfords comments on breast milk but am still a bit concerned, particularly as I now have a sore throat .  on other sites it says it can take at least two weeks to develop hiv symptoms so am I worrying about nothing
Not a risk.
thanks Teak, I dont want to sound a nag but how are we so sure that breast milk getting on the penis is no risk.  cant infected milk getting down the urethra be a risk as it may get into your blood stream
HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions, therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.
ThanksTeak, just one more point  would that apply even if the breast milk was squirted straight out on to my penis which is what I fear may have happened
Yes.
one last point, I read that Hiv can survive outside the body for a few minutes so wouldnt that still leave me at risk
Sorry Teak to sound patronising but how do you know so much about the risk of breast mil given that other sites say that hiv still exists in the milk even when its left to stand in a bottle.  I only ask as I am terrified about infecting my wife and am concerned about the fact I have suddenly got a very sore throat a week after the encounter.  Surely if the breast milk got on the cut on my penis there is a chance of contracting the virus or am am I just trying to convince myself for no reason
Education.....You never had a risk, not even if you consumed breast milk.
but surely there is a difference to consuming milk to getting it on your penis or is there?
Both are no risks. You aren't an infant that needs to be concerned with breast milk and you've been advised already that HIV is not transmitted outside its host.
Teak I appreciate your respomses but in the past two days I havegotten a very severe sore throat and intermittent pains across my body. despite your assurances I am convincing myself that I have hiv.  how do I stop this