HIV Prevention Community
hiv window period and mild cvid

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

hiv window period and mild cvid

hey guys,
ive seen similar questions posted about this before but they all seem to be paranoid people with no risk situations.
In aug 2010 I had unprotected sex with a girl of unknown status. Exactly 1 month later I came down with mild fever and some pretty serious night sweats for about 5-7 days. The entire time I was extremely worried because of my stupid decision to have unprotected sex. For the next few months I began getting recurring infections such as mrsa and athletes foot, this lead to my doctor running a series of tests, including hiv. This was at the 6 months mark from my possible exposure. All tests came back negative except my immunoglublin levels appeared to be low/low normal. My Igg was 700 and my Igm was low at 43. After reading a couple different articles about extremely late seroconversion due to cvid I am obviously extremely worried. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this type of thing and can help determine if I should take another antibody test. I know several people on here constantly state that no matter what at 6 months month you will test positive if you have hiv but it appears that is simply not the case. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
You don't have an HIV concern. You've tested way outside the window period.
prior to joining this forum ive noticed you comment on several threads and give snippy false answers. I am not questioning you as a person just simply some of your answers. Below is the link to a couple studies/articles where seroconversion has taken much longer then 6 months. I doubt you will read them but if you are saying the 3-6month window period is conclusive for everyone 100% of the time you are wrong. I do not mean to come off rude I am just simply asking if anyone has had any experience with this type of situation. If all you are going to post is the warning that I see you reply to everyone then I ask that you please do not answer. My exposure was real, my ARS like symptoms were real and my low IgG levels are real. I am just asking if anyone has talked to their immunologists about this.

http://www.bioportfolio.com/resources/pmarticle/41901/Extremely-Prolonged-Hiv-Seroconversion-Associated-With-An-Mhc-Haplotype-Carrying-Disease-Susceptibility.html

http://allergycases.org/2008/07/how-to-diagnose-common-variable.html
What HIV screening test would you do in a patient with CVID?

"Patients with CVID can not produce an adequate antibody response to the HIV virus if infected and ELISA or Western blot are not useful. PCR RNA is the test of choise for HIV diagnosis in patients with CVID."

CVID has nothing to do with HIV. CVID is a disorder that involves the following: (1) low levels of most or all of the immunoglobulin (Ig) classes, (2) a lack of B lymphocytes or plasma cells that are capable of producing antibodies, and (3) frequent bacterial infections. A diagnosis of CVID is reserved for those with an undefined B-cell dysfunction.[1]

CVID is diverse, both in its clinical presentation and in the types of deficiency. Although decreased serum levels of immunoglobulin G (IgG) and immunoglobulin A (IgA) are characteristic, approximately 50% of patients with the deficiency also have diminished serum immunoglobulin M (IgM) levels and T-lymphocyte dysfunction. About 20% of those with CVID develop an autoimmune disease.[2]
Thank You. I understand that CVID and HIV are two completely seperate things. I am not sure if you understood the statement I was making because I am not saying CVID causes HIV or vice versa. They have nothing to do with eachother. A standard HIV antibody test checks for either IgG alone or IgG/IgM. In theory, a person who does not produce sufficient antibodies could deffinetly exceed the hiv window period. I have low igg and igm numbers as shown by my blood work. I had unprotected sex(a real risk). Im not asking if CVID can possibly effect an antibody test result because I know for a fact it can. I came here to see if anyone else has had a similar issue and whether they felt a person with mild cvid should get an RNA test done to be safe.
P.S. Ive seen you state in similar threads that cvid has no effect whatsoever with antibody testing. There is plenty of other research out there besides the links I sent you that shows it clearly does. If you could show me a study done or an example that shows that cvid has no effect that would be great.
No that is not correct. CVID will not effect a persons antibody test unless it is to the degree that it cause chronic immune deficiency and those people would know it and there doctor would have advise them of it. Those people would be really sick and most likely hospitalized.
bump..anyone else?
nothing more to add to what teak has already told you
Just go and see your immunologist and take their advice because there are no doctors on this forum.
I am im going to ask my immunologists but the wait to see her is a month so I decided to come on here to maybe put my mind at ease.
you were diagnosed with cvid based on those numbers alone?
i was diagnosed with cvid based off multiple infections a year and low immunoglobulin levels. I am getting an oxidative burst test done this week to see how my body reacts to the site of infection. My appointment is in a month for my doctor so ill know exactly what my immune system is capable of.
Have an HIV question?
100,000+ doctor answers