HIV Prevention Community
is there any risk

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

is there any risk

hello,
i had sex with sex workers which was on feb 2012- i had cunnilingus and she gave me bare blowjob, i gave her a rimming. i don't know now whether i had inserted my tongue into the *** and the sex was vaginal protected and in  april again i did the same thing. but there was protected anal and vaginal with bare blowjob and cunnilingus. in augst also i had sex with another worker and this times protected blowjob and protected vaginal, but i gave her a cunnilingus, i got tested day before and it was in a clinic and a instant 90days one. its was just done in a 60 sec. the doctor showed and explained me with the result as its clearly negative. And said the oral unprotected is not at al a risk.
he reassured that don't need to spend the money more as its conclusive. as i said sex had occurred before 90 days.. i am ( the last worker i met has an young child and she recently came to this job as she lost her job as i talked to her and understood this) quite confident about  the last lady as she used condom for blow job. but i had a small rupture inside the plate of mouth similar to the one when u had eaten crisp when doing the cunnilingus. when i did the test i was just about 5 months from the penultimate exposure. i now had a very small lump in the groin area on left side and its just under or the size of a chick pea, i think so small than that . i searched for it and found out, or else i would have missed it. is there any need to worry, i am worried i have bit temperature but not its fever as i checked myself, it has to go little more for the cut off temperature for fever. what i need to do now, its now 31days from the last exposure
You never had a risk from any of the activities you engaged in.That doctor was correct.
No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS: Volume 16(17) 22 November 2002 pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan
Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117
Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.

There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex. The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way. Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk". There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANSFIELD

"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex. Please educate yourself about the real risks. If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. " DR HANSFIELD

"I am sure you can find lots of people who believe that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..." DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by touching, masturbation, oral sex or condom protected sex."- DR. HOOK

in the public HIV Prevention forum of MedHelp, TEAK and the other moderators maintain that oral sex in all forms is a zero risk activity. Would you agree with this assessment?
I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA
"HIV is not spread by masturbation, through oral sex, through kissing or other casual contact." Dr. Hook
"The observation on thousands and thousands of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort)." DR HOOK
"I would not say your risk ,if he had HIV is "slim to none"- that's too high.  I would say they are effectively zero.  How much of his ejaculate or other genital  secretions you may have swallowed makes no difference.  EWH "
"As far as HIV is concerned, there is no known risk of getting HIV from performing oral sex on an infected partner, even if that person's genital secretions get into your eyes or if you swallow." Dr.Hook
HIV is not spread by oral sex, giving or receiving, even if sores, gum disease or blood is present
DR HOOK
The fact is that there are no cases in which HIV has been proven to be transmitted by oral sex, including fellatio..  EWH
but i am man and the workers were women
can i rely on the instant one as its only took a min to get the result, when i urged to take a proper test which is the lab sending one the doctor himself said no, as its the same result as negative, in the talk he said its highly sensitive and could react with any antibodies in the blood. but sensitive could make a false result easily, thats my opinion and then doctor said its just in theory. can i rely on this instant one.
Its happened in England and the doctor said its only available in clinics.  
Move forward--you never had a risk.
see i sucked the breast too, i didn't see any milk or anything, I am sorry to post it again
it doesn't matter what you sucked,it's not a risk.Breast milk is only a risk for infants because they have no immune systems.
thank you people for ur fast reply
you're welcome--thats what we are here for.
i am sorry to ask again as my anxiety won't allow me to stop.
pls see the link

http://www.****.com/content/30024/hiv-transmission.html?getPage=2#q6

and they tell its a risk (oral)
by Emily_MHModerator,
And to clarify, it is this site's stance, based on studies and our own MedHelp experts (all of whom are world-renowned for their work in this field), that oral sex carries no risk for HIV.  
Emily
ok, i am gonna see the doctor again tomorrow or day after and i will check again, i am really afraid i want to do a duo test too to confirm it. lets see how it goes. there is  swelling in the groin
Nothing to do with HIV.

HIV is transmitted by;
Unprotected penetrative anal and/or vaginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug abusers
Mother to child
did a 28 days duo and found -ve and tomorrow the lab result of that comes again as  2nd supportive result
What did you expect the result to be when you had no risk.
i was absolutely worried of anxiety
Then get the help you require for your anxiety
I did have a negative on last 23rd also from lab  and now I feel a lump on he back of the neck, not really sure is there that existing even, Is it relate s to HIV
Read what you have been told over and over and over again and then move on.
I have 2 rashes inside of my arms and some bumps on the back too, so worried , the last hiv check was anyways 6 weeks after the last episode
* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusively negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusively negative results or a no-risk situation will be based upon the criteria established by MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.
you had no risk and there is nothing more we can add.

if you are having health concerns, see your dr, not a forum...it's NOT hiv related.
the doctor said that the duo test will have no use after 10 weeks of exposure, as there will be no antigens at this time, but duo means hiv 1&2 antibodies and p24 antigens, so when ever that test is done after 28 days- when ever for sure even after years?, it could earn a proper result as it is a test to pick up antibodies even. I am asking this question as my previous exposures even worries me, but sept 24th they are well above 5months and heading just 9 days for 6 months.
I learned what you all were saying, but still mind doesn't stay calm.
please excuse me for my excessive posting
YOU HAD NO RISK...GEEEEEZ
could anyone answer this pls. if you got any symptoms which is related to hiv and can your bloodtest not pick up the antibodies or antigens?
will this situation be possible, I meant by the time the symptoms arises does it means that the antibodies or antigens are generated in the body, and are they in enough quantities  for the blood test to pick up
how does one know they are having REAL ars symptoms?  you ever had a sore throat?  a fever? a rash?

the only way to know that you had REAL ars symptoms is by getting a positive test result.
see my situation, i had sore throat, i didn't know its was sore or not, i had pain. i had small bumps some times and have now, i had fever earlier not now. and all these were there so i went to see the doc. again and he ascertain that i don't have anything, but i wanted a lab result and i got as none. now its 2 weeks past same again small bumps and i feel it itchy sometimes, if scratched it becomes bit and goes down in hours. so frustrating and d agonizing. thats y i asked if you have symptoms which is related to hiv and willl the result say negative, as not enough antibodies/ antigens are there. because i seen in  a forum there could be rare people who can develop antibodies 6 month later even. my doc. say you cannot be that one
you are worrying about something needlessly.

you NEVER had a risk...are you not understanding this??????
I understand everything, i am highly educated even, but worry never has any distinction between anyone. Then which this all idiots and counselors says all this things for others to worry. could u answer my question pls, will the situation is possible, for tests  NOT todetect hiv antibodies/ antigens as not enough of them when u have symptoms and u are hiv+ or definitely going to be hiv positive in sometime as a result of the last incident
IF SOMEONE HAS HIV...THEY WILL TEST POSITIVE BY 3 MONTHS POST EXPOSURE.

kindly move along...you do not have a hiv concern and we have posting guidelines on this forum.
i know i am disturbing all, but my last exposure, which i know all what happened clearly is 2+ months and not 3 months, is all worrying
Hi there -

Please understand that you are taking away valuable and limited time that our experienced members use to volunteer here by asking questions that have already been repeatedly answered.  The answer will not change, and it's time to let these members assist other people with new questions.

If you'd like to talk with others about your fears, please visit our Anxiety Community - http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Anxiety/show/71  They can't, and won't, assess your HIV risk, but can offer excellent help for living with anxiety.

Emily
hellow, recently had an incident as I doubt that my bare penis had entered the vagina a bit, when she sat on my laps. I am not sure and she confirmed its not
Follow the link you were given abouve.
Buddy.. you are unnecessarily worrying. Another small advice, if you can't handle anxiety and fear, keep yourself out from sexual encounter.

Follow the experts..They are genious and experienced as far as HIV concerned. You don't have HIV concern. You shall keep yourself away from internet..Once you follow this..magically all your symptoms will  GO AWAY. Cheerss and get ready for new year and xmass blast..Practise SAFE SEX,,that is CONDOM PROTECTED PENETRATIVE SEX..