HIV Prevention Community
just quick question

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

just quick question

is the rapid test accurate??? i had it at 85 days. almost 6 months...and almost 8 months...for the 8 months period it was finger ***** but still rapid test...i just really wanted to know...because one of my friends told me that he called the Gay and Lesbian Medical Center in West Hollywood and asked,,,they say it's not that accurate and should be waitng 3-6 months when compared to traditional blood test, which can be perform 3 months after possible exposure......i'm really confused...that's y i can't move on with this...and Teak and Lizzie Lou...please help me answer this,,i trust you guys...just don't ignore this or sayng "move on" without really answering this question...by answering this question,,,you're helping not only me,,but everyone who will read this post...thanks a lot....
You were overtested. The GLMC is WRONG, 3 months is conclusive regardless of what test is used.

Time to move on.

* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusive negative results or a no-risk situation will be based up the criteria MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.
"In general the rapid tests are just as accurate as an ELISA (laboratory-based) test for detection of HIV.  They represent relatively new technology which has been adapted to provide accurate results much more quickly than when specimens must be sent to the laboratory without any meaningful loss in test performance.  Just as is the case for persons who have positive ELISA tests, if a rapid test is positive, it must be confirmed with another assay to make sure that the test result is not false positive."

Dr. Edward Hook, MD

NOW MOVE ON
Rapid tests are ELISA tests.
And I suspect it is your friend that is wrong, anyway, not the GLMC. You should be more  careful about where you get your information.

No the CDC has nothing to do with it. It is the manufacture of the tests and FDA that gives the approvals. CDC sets their guidelines based on the manufatures testing data and the FDA test approvals.