HIV Prevention Community
knocking on death's door

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

knocking on death's door

I live in Arizona and I had unprotected sex with a male. (I'm female) I decided to go vacation to Atlanta for the Christmas holiday. I noticed a couple of days in my vacation throat started feeling funny. When I returned back to AZ I became very sick. Two Weeks after the unprotected sex I had nasal congestion, sneezing, sore throat, fever, and cough. I went to doctors to do a std test and the curable stds came back all negative. Im schedule to do the HIV tomorrow and and I'm so worried. When I went to the doc, she exam and I had a yeast infection. She have me medicine for it, but the infection return back the next week. I learned from the internet persistent yeast infactions could be sign for HIV. I have no rash or ulcers yet. It's has now been 6 Weeks after the incident and I noticed I was shaking in my sleep and I was sweating a little bit. I wake up in the in the middle of the night frantic. All I think about now is HIV. I think about it when I wake up, sleep, and eat. I'm extremely depressed and I have no one to talk too about my situation. The person I slept with does know his status. When I went to do the general std test, the doc said my test were negative and showed me the results, but proscribe me medication anyways. I was told I didn't have to take it if I did not want topic, but I tools the medication and warning indicated that it can cause diarrhea and probably yeast infections. Well I diarrhea two hours after I took the medication (the name of it is Azithromycin). Now I'm very scared I could have HIV bexcuse the flu like I had or maybe I was actually sick, I don't know. I went to Atlanta in Dec and it was extremely cold and wet and the flu seemed to be very ATL. So with this being said what are your thoughts? Also I'm getting  tested tomorrow and as I mentioned earlier, it has now been 6Weeks, do you believe my test will be accurate?
Sorry about the grammar and choppy sentences. I was typing from phone.
You can test now for a good indication followed by a three month test for accuracy. A risk is a risk, we dont discuss odds, but a one time exposure is realitively low. Can you have your patner tested? You both could get tested together at an hiv clinic, or planned parenthood with results in as little as 20 minutes.
6 weeks is a good time to test. The test would give you a good indicator of your status. Good luck.
Well I took the blood test and now I'm waiting my fate. I believe it's going to be positive because of all ARS I had and the fact that my partner does not his status. I'm SOL. I'm trying to accepted me being positive, but I just can't believe, I guess I still want to have a little bit hope that I'm not infected. I'm all alone in this situation because I'm too embarrassed to tell friends and family. I especially can't tell my family because of look of disappointment they will give me.
What would you tell them? You haven't received a positive test result.
You have a MUCH better chance of NOT being infected than of testing +.  Don't over dramatize this, just wait for your results.  Now you know why condoms are so important.
Haven't got my results yet. Before I got tested I told the doctors office I wanted results mail to me. I didn't think they would follow through with that request because the office person was like "we need to contact the patient soon as possible if something is wrong". So I guess their mailing everything or maybe their trying to find a doctor to tell me the bad news. I don't know. now I wake up shaking at night and sometimes it feels like my heart hurts at night. I have this itchy sensation that I can sometimes feel on my hands or neck maybe thwar are ARS symptoms.
Now waiting to see if I had the flu or ARS symptoms. I freak out in a big when I get a voicemail or when I check my mail. I know I probably shouldn't have told the office to mail my results, but it was just the idea of some random person leaving a voicemail and telling to come in and see the doctor and the thought of sitting in a doctor's office waiting hear bad news. The idea literal made me sick.
Not sure why that last post posted twice.
A negative test at 6 weeks is a great indication of status.
Sorry for the confusion I haven't received my results yet. I don't know if it's negative or not.
Now I wondering if the doc office is purposely withhold my results to force me to come in or phone. I know I instructed them to mail, but its been so long.
Your dr is not going to puposely withold any information from you. If something was wrong you would have recieved a call from the dr. Tests take time. Most labs only run hiv tests on certain days.  Do you have any idea how expensive it is for a lab to run a machine? Let alone the reagents, etc needed for the test? They are not going to run an hiv test everytime they get one. Instead they wait until a certain day and run them in batches. I use to work in a lab where they were ran tuesday and friday at 8 am. If you missed the batch, to bad. Youwaited until the next run date. Why dont you just call and ask for results?
I know I instructed them to mail, but its been so long. .

IT HAS BEEN 6 DAYS!!!!!!  They probably don't even HAVE the results yet...it takes some time.  They do HIV tests in group send outs, so it can take a coupkle of days.  Instead of driving yourself nuts, why don't you just call them and ask?
I called and asked the docs office how long does it take to get blood results back, she said 4 days to a week. So I guess I'll wait.
Just tell them you want called with your results instead of messing around with the mail.  If anything, that could delay the news by almost a week.
Yeah I guess I'll just call tomorrow. I'm sitting here trying to prepare for possibly bad news, but I just can't take it into realization. I know you can live a long life now with all the medical treatment we have today, but having to tell your dentist, family, and friends is just a lot to digest and forget about being in relationships, getting married, having children, or even sex for that matter. I know I'm stupid and crazy for having unprotected sex. I may have ruined my life forever. I only speak my mind here on this thread because I don't have anyone else. I told my ex (now really friend) of my situation and he said he'll be there for me no matter what, but he doesn't call me as much as I like  to see if I'm okay. Well here goes another sleepless night.
I called the doc office today and they said my results weren't in yet. The associate mentioned the system was down so it might be there tomorrow. I can't stop thinking about my symptoms, I got them exactly in the two week timeframe.
"Two Weeks after the unprotected sex I had nasal congestion, sneezing, sore throat, fever, and cough."

You caught a cold for christ's sake. HIV doesn't produce upper respiratory symptoms. Enough with the drama. Millions of people have unprotected sex and catch colds- there is nothing significant about your situation. This thread is a complete waste of emotional energy.
Maybe my thread will help someone depressed, besides reading it is not required. Telling someone helps with my anxiety. I really do hope your right Joggen, but now your comment make me think, could it be a cold and ARS at the same time because what I've read on the internet, a fever is not typical of cold. Well, I guess Ill soon enough.
up date your status as soon as you receive it. u can expect that ur are negative.
HIV, HPV, and HEP all negative at six weeks. I will do another test at 13 Weeks. God has given me another chance and I NEVER will have sex without a condom unless I'm married. I never want to put myself at risk ever again. Lesson learned. I'm at point where I don't even want to have sex with person that doesn't know they status. I even don't want to have sex for a while because I'm disgusted by it right now, in a instance your life can be ruined forever and that's not worth 5-10 mins of pleasure. I hope my 6 week test results is pretty conclusive.