HIV Prevention Community
lancet needle

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

lancet needle

I found out today that one of my friends from the past is hiv positive and has been for a while. I know for a fact that he tested my blood sugar with a reusable lancet device probably a minute after he checked his.I really don't think he changed the lancet but now I cant help but worry about this. I know this happened about a decade ago but I just found out about his status. I guess what Im asking is there anyway I could have caught hiv from a lancet needle and also this happened probably about a decade ago.Thanks to everyone who can help me out
Hi there,
First of all he probably got recently exposed within the last months or year or so! Being said that this long by now I'm sure u would have had some sort of symptoms!! U should probably test anyway just for your record and if indeed negative you are def negative ;)
If u haven't had  any recent exposures. You should prob ask your friend abt the time frame of when it turned positive...see if your friend gives u a lil detail of the situation as far as his previous exposures etc.. Anyway don't very share anything that involves penetrating your skin! Not only is if gross but unsafe!! Although I believe your gonna be okay I would def check.. Good luck!
Thanks for the help but can you get hiv from a lancet needle
The above information is not accurate.

You can NOT get HIV from sharing a lancet, even if used directly after a positive person, for three main reasons.  

ONE, the HIV virus is very fragile and vulnerable to the environment, and quickly becomes inactive, unable to transmit the infection to another person.  Even if it was able to maintain its virility the following two factors would not allow for transmission....

TWO, a lancet causes a TINY superficial opening in the skin.  The skin is comprised of many protective layers and serves as an excellent barrier to the virus.  A skin opening made by a lancet would never be sufficient enough to allow for transmission.

THREE, HIV transmission requires the presence of a copious amount of blood, which would not be present on the surface area of a lancet, since it is so small.

You have ZERO to worry about.  NOTHING related to your friend's HIV infection (ie when he became infected and how) is relevant to your situation in any way.

Don't give this anymore thought.
thanks so much. that means everything to me
Hi Nursegirl,

Thanks for all your help.  I'm just wondering here for point #3, isn't the surface area of a lancet roughly the same as that as a needle and the amount of blood on a needle can transmit the virus? Why wouldn't it be the same as the needle?  I am sure you are right, I am just trying to get a better understanding as I am very worried about the glass I stepped and it is sort of similar to this (poke from environmental surface).  Thanks!!
* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusively negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusively negative results or a no-risk situation will be based upon the criteria established by MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.