HIV Prevention Community
low hiv risk ?adequate time for being tested???

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Hi!
i'm a 19 year old female from El Salvador,first of all i wanted this say that this page is just awesome and has helpedme a lot.Dear doctors, i would really apreciate you advise about the following questions:last year, i gave unprotected oral sex to my exboyfriend, and even though he didin't ejaculate, he did precum. It was my first sexual experience ever, and even though that happened, we didn't have intercouse or exchanging of other type of fluids. after we broke up, i decided that it would be a responsible thing to do to get hiv tested, because, well, hiv doesn't respect ages, or anything like that. So I waited 33 weeks (from may 25 2007 to jan13 2008), and got tested at a private hospital very reliable I must say, as it is a children private hospital(and my all life laboratory , were i0ve always gotten all my tests made) here in my country. The results were given to me in less that an hour so i guess it was one of the so called "rapid tests". The result was negative.
When I sked the lab technitian if i sholud get another test later, he said that  ant the time I got tsted (33 weeks) maybe my body hadn't developed enogh antibodies to be detected in a blood test, son in order to 100% sure I should get tested a year after my  las sexual  risky situation.

so, my questions are these:
1)are rapid tests as reliable as other hiv tests?
2)are my 33 week negative results conclusive? should I get retested?
3)should I still worry or can I move on?
thank u very much for your time.!
i
You're lab tech doesn't know what he's talking about. 12 weeks after your last unprotected sex is long enough to get a conclusive test result. If all you did was the oral sex you didn't need testing to begin with.
You weren't at risk from just oral.
Before you become sexually active might be a good time to educate yourself on the risks and modes of transmission of STDs including HIV.