HIV Prevention Community
mutual masturbation, paper cut in contact with semen

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

I had a 30 hour old paper cut on my index finger and I gave a hand job to a guy who I met in a gay bar (HIV status unknown).  He ejaculated on my hand and his semen has been in contact with the paper cut. After he ejaculated, I did wash off my hands within two minutes or so with warm water. (I didn't realize and had forgotten all about the paper cut until he came on my hand).

The cut was a typical paper cut (very small and it was not openly bleeding), actually it was in the process of  healing (scab).

Assuming he was HIV+, do I have a chance of being infected and if so, what are the chances?

Is this something to be concerned about as I have read that you can contract HIV from semen and open wounds? How open does a cut/wound/scratch have to be? Is a scab enough of a protective barrier?.

The tiny healing cut doesn't give enough pathways for the virus to enter in your bloodstreams, does is?

Please help me. I’m full of anxiety.
Absolutely zero risk--don't lose anymore sleep over this.
I will try. I'm really anxious about this unfortunate episode. I can't stop looking at my little cut and overanalyzing it.  Thanks.
I know what you feel about it because I had this same fear before. But you can really forget it. No case recorded of an infection in such conditions. If your cut was not bleeding so the virus could not go inside your body. Move on. You don't even need to test.
HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

HIV is transmitted by;
Unprotected penetrative anal and/or vaginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug users
Mother to child
Well, it seems that I'm not the only person in the world who experienced this situation. After this happened to me yesterday, I saw o lot of people asking the same very question in this website. Reading the answers was somehow comforting . Thanks.
Hi Teak,

Thanks for the comforting reply. But one last question: sometimes the same medical expert will say at one point that the virus dies outside the body "within seconds," and then that it does outside the body "within a few minutes. As though those two things were the same and interchangeable! Obviously they aren't. So which is it? Five seconds? Thirty seconds? One minute? Five minutes. I'm my case the lapse of time between the sperm coming out from my "partner" penis and touching my cut was no mere than 2 seconds, because I was holding his penis when he ejaculated.
No matter the time. It could not enter into your body if it was not bleeding.

When the bleeding stops it's because your skin is healing and it avoids the entrance of the virus.

Move on