HIV Prevention Community
needle

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

needle

How long can blood stay fresh inside of a needle, a couple of days, weeks, years or what
  • Hiv risk? (2 replies):
    By an accident two months ago I touched a syringe and I ...[more]
  • use of syringe (3 replies):
    hi. after having unprotected sex with gay.......receing ...[more]
  • Syringe attack (1 replies):
    I am worried I have been stabbed by a syringe, basically...[more]
  • help (9 replies):
    I have a fear of syringes last night whilst out on my st...[more]
  • Used Syringe ICTC (8 replies):
    Hi, I read a similar question posted by another India...[more]
Hi there,

Why are you asking that?  Perhaps you can share a little more details....

And if your question is how long can HIV virus stay "alive" (active) in the vaccum of the needle.....the answer is not long, not hours, not days, not weeks, and definetely not years..............

Cheers
I don't know why you want to know this but i'll take the bait and say to you that i researched this because of my own exposure (needle stick) and found that HIV can survive inside of a syringe-a very important distinction, for up to four weeks reportedly. Which Cartel do you belong to? Just kidding man...
I respectfully disagree with you-allthough HIV can not survive in open air it can survive in a syringe for UP to 4 weeks.

I too suffered from needles punctured like 7 weeks ago....and waiting for my 3 months test.

The virus active"ness" depends on a host of variables in the needle...norm, should not be that long dude, unless in a lab environment, than I am uncertain.....

perhaps you can tell us where you get your information from?
HIV in blood will not stay active any length of time not even in a syringe or in the tip of a needle.
Evidence based based findings on efficacy of syringe exchange programs have discovered HIV-1 can sustain itself for OVER 4 weeks in a contaminated syringe, remaining infectious to all individuals who use -or- reuse the syringe.

David Satcher MD

The Dogwood center-Princeton, N.J.-U.S.A.
Put the URL here.

One could not begin to get blood out of a syringe in two days let alone 4 weeks. Blood coagulates and would be impossible to get out of a syringe or a needle.
    I've already sited the source of the information provided-if you are still skeptical, then you can do your own leg work to raise any disputes you may have there my friend. Many respectable sources have stated this fact. Google it up-as a college grad-so three sources min, are a rule of thumb on this end and trust me or not, there were well more than three sources available providing the information posted.
Thanks chapeau for the info....and you are right HIV Virus can stay "alive"(active) for an average of 4 weeks.....if certain conditions are fully met.

Reading it before and now again...and like to highlight...

Let me quote another research done by Yale also:
"Conversely, when stored above room temperature, the likelihood of encountering syringes with viable HIV-1 after one week decreases to less than one per cent, it was reported in the study.
At 4 degrees C, 50 percent of all syringes contained viable HIV-1 at 42 days of storage, the longest storage duration tested. (the other 50%?)
At room temperature, or 20 degrees C, the last day that syringes with infected blood were positive was Day 21. Viable HIV-1 was recovered from 8 percent of these syringes. (what happen to the other 92%?)
Above room temperature, or 27, 32 and 37 degrees C, less than one percent of syringes contained viable HIV-1 after one week. "

Also, the study earlier mentioned in Dr David Satcher report based its finding in lab environment, strong emphasis on the volume of blood remaining in the syringe and the duration of storage at room temperature.

I beleive many other variations may not taken into the study.  In real lives suitation, we still have temperture changes thruout the day, from one day to another, humidity, sunlight, etc.  These are not included in the study.  For eg, in my country, temperature is norm 27c and above, and in some country temperature is 40c during day and 5c in the night....and in some places I traveled to...the air is so dry...and some so "wet".......

Also quote, Mr Sowadsky (the body.com)
"In regard to syringes, HIV (either 1 or 2) will only live outside the body for a few minutes. The longer the virus is outside the body, the weaker it gets, and the less the chance of transmission. The more blood that is in the syringe, the longer it will take for the HIV virus to die. But once the blood is dry, the virus would be dead. IV drug users often get infected through syringes since they use syringes immediately after one another. However let me point out that other bloodborne diseases, like Hepatitis B, can survive much longer outside the body as compared to HIV. "

What the study show is that there are still HIV virus found, just like saliva.  We should not forget min quantity (infectious dose) of HIV necessary to result in infection, I believe is still unknown(i may be wrong.......).

Then what was being said in the report was lab specimen blood in a syringe in which the concentration of HIV are hundreds of times higher than that found outside a lab.

"Results from laboratory studies should not be used to assess specific personal risk of infection because (1) the amount of virus studied is not found in human specimens or elsewhere in nature"
Oh miss out my conclusion....(like an essay)

In real world, HIV virus can "live" for UP to 4 weeks in the needle, ONLY in a lab environment.

So I stand by my stand....."not long, not hours, not days, not weeks, and definetely not years.............. "
I'm sorry for ruining your conclusion Uniquelymen, I thought you were done. :)
hahaha....no prob, Teak......... : o )

ps: think next time no long reply for me.....it took me some time to write ....cos my main language is Chinese, so I need to translate from Chinese to English.....kekeke....good practise for my english writing though.........
Avatar n tn
Thanks all, i was asking because yesterday at work i came across some homless person materials that they left in our building, im pretty sure i didnt touch anything but then i wasnt really paying attention and now i am worried that i might have touched something, there was a bunch of bandaid rappers and disinfectant wipes there two along with a bunch of trash and some socks all in a brown paper bag left in the stairwell of our warehouse, sometimes bums would come in there looking for a place to chill. I have a fear of HIV and OCD problems so when i came across the bag i automatically got worried but now im worried that what if i touched something. I know it sounds rediculous but i cant sort out the stuff in my mind. Im sure with my high level of anxiety and stuff that i wouldnt just walk up to the bag and start digging aound in there but im just so worried. I called my Dr and he referred me to a shrink.
Then I suggest you go to the OCD forum. It has nothing to do with HIV.