HIV Prevention Community
neg hiv at 4 weeks

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

neg hiv at 4 weeks

i took a hiv blood test at 4 weeks (26days) it came out neg should i still be scard or am i okay?
what was your exposure?
i hooked up with a man who may have hiv no sure if he does didnt use a condom for 30sec and we did other things
Ok,If that 4 week test was a DUO/COMBO then at 4 weeks it's 99.89% accurate,if you want to make it official and follow guidelines you will need to test again at the 12 week mark for a final result.I wish you all the best.
i dont know what kind of test it was the doctor office did it and sent it to quest lab they said the test are very good when i called them they said  are sensitive  is that a duo? they told  me it test for hiv 1 and hiv 2 ...im still very scared do u feel im ok with the 4 weeks 26 days being neg  with this test i had
With the modern tests avaliable Hiv is detected much earlier,the statistics suggest this anyway.I would like you to take a look at the freedomhealth Hiv website and read what they have to say about 4th generation testing.Bottom line here is that 12 weeks will assure you 100% that you don't have Hiv.At the moment things are looking great for you.Try not to stress.
i will look at the site and thank you again for answering me
you're welcome and remember that you are in a great position with that negative result.
i took another blood test at 8 weeks it is also neg what do you think  
Your 3 month post exposure test will be conclusive.
do you think im ok with the 4 and 8 week test being neg
thank u for answering back i do have this thing on my tonuge for a month now idk what it is
im not good with this site im new to this im not understanding everyone i look at differents sites and they say different things my first test was 4 weeks it was neg at 7.7 going on 8 weeks i took another one it was the western blot it was also neg i went back today to be tested im hopping it stays neg im very scared the guy tells me he is neg i did see his papers the problem i have is after  everything a couple of weeks later i had a sore  on my tonuge we to the dr said it was a canker sore i also went to an ent where he said im fine its just now my mouth is ive been getting headacks at night not bad one just light 1's it might be to a new med im on and coming off of i havent had no fevers i keep checking i seen on a site ppl get fevers for weeks my neck on the right side feels lil funny ent dr said it was frrom when i was sick im just really scared on this i feel like my life is over i keep thinking about this did anyone know of anyone hiv blood test changing after 8 weeks with a western blot  this week 9 weeks and 4 days i dont kno what test the dr used i asked for 1 that would give me info asap its 2 months for 4 days to the date this all happens within 3 and a half weeks can a test really change
i forgot to add in since then ive been having problems with my right eye  where the right side my of my tonuge is where my sore is ive been to the eye dr he said i had pink i then it went away and then said it was a dry eye can this be due to hiv even so my test is coming up neg
Why did you take a Western Blot. You had no reason to take that test.
when i called my dr thats what he gave me quest lab told me that was going on 8 weeks, week 4  i dont know what they sent me for  and today i dont know what test they sent me for i know hiv at going on 8 weeks my dr said it was for to look for the dna antibodys it came neg im really scared ... the guy i was with with went to the er bc i scared him they took a hiv test and a also relfex to western blot and it came neg that was 8 weeks as well  im just really scared with the sore in my tonuge and my eye  i had a lil mark on my skin but nothing big i cant sleep at night over this  how do you feel on this has anyone ever seen a 8 week western blot neg trun pos ?
i just called quest lab it is a reflx to western blot antibody test the 1 i took at going on 8 weeks and the 1 i took today is the same test the dr sent me for is this a good test would it show by now going on 2 months 4 days today  also my neg going on 8 weeks do u think that would change
Your 8 week negative is VERRRRRRRY encouraging and unlikely to change.  You would probably have a better chance of winning the lottery.

So, go out and buy a lottery ticket and try not to worry...you will probaby be just fine.

When you go for your conclusive test at 3 months, make sure you ask for a standard antibody test (ELISA).  A Western Blot was an inappropriate test for the doctor to have ordered you.

Good luck, try not to worry.
You have 2 negative results at 4 and 8 weeks,at 12 weeks you will make it 3 negative results.The expert doctors here at medhelp have never seen an 8 week negative then turn positive at 12 weeks and this is a fact you need to be aware of.
My dr said after this 9 and half week test I'm waiting for I have to wait 6 months to get tested again its a eia reflex test I both took I looked them up both neg Ill only b 25 days shy of the 3 month mark with this test I'm waiting for my health plan won't cover no more hiv test for the year
You don't need to wait 6 months for another test.  A test at 3 months post exposure is conclusive with no need to test again after that.
I took another test yesterday almost 10 weeks is that good or should I  take it at 3months again I'm feb 13 will b 3 months so its not many weeks away  
Get your conclusive test at 3 months.
I just took my third test going on 10 weeks if this is neg also do I need another 1 at 3 months? would 25 days really make a differents ? On top of this I have very bad anxiety  and this id making it bad bc I keep thinking
Ok, you need to stop testing...you are way over testing, believe it or not, that is going to actually INCREASE your anxiety.  Wait the 25 days, test ONE last time and be done with it...I'm sure it will be negative.
thank u for answering yes my anxiety has increased  really bad after this i wasnt going to test again  they say 3 months  but i have seen  on line within 1 month people would have showed in a blood test  im waiting for this last test it should be back tomorrow  im praying it is still neg like the last 2 i took do you feel if this test comes neg  i would have to test again in 25 days or just leave it alone
I just got my test #3 back at the end of 9 weeks it is also neg the dr office thinks it would of showed by now does anyone feel I need another one at the 3 month mark 24 days from now  or I should leave it alone
3 Months would make it official and fully conclusive.
I am getting crazy over this I took a elisa antibody test it was neg today if its going to b neg again at 3months 3 weeks from now I'm not going to test again unless u think I should
Reread the replies you have been given.
i have
hi everyone i want to thank everyone for answering me back it means alot i just want to update everyone i took another test today 86 days 12 and half weeks with the heath dept of ny it was a 20 min test from my mouth it came up neg As well does everyone feel im in the clean with being free of hiv with another neg test at 12 and half weeks 86 days
conclusive and further testing is not needed.
thank u do u think everyone feels the same ... the health dep told me it went from the old 6 months down to  3 months now the new one is 2 months
the current guideline states that 3 months post exposure is conclusive.
i was told from the health dep that it is now 2 months no more 3months
They are wrong, the FDA has not given approval for any conclusive test before 3 months.
Not what I was told they can now test at 2 months and would kno
http://www.cdc.gov/globalaids/Resources/pmtct-care/docs/TM/Module_6TM.pdf
Page 11
#4
  In an adult, a positive HIV antibody test result means that the person is infected, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results
The bottom line is that you don't have HIV. Go out and celebrate.
thank you i should be but idk y im still worryed about it
i seen that i tested 12 weeks 86 days neg again health dep said im fine they go by 2 months now
You are 100% HIV negative.Accept it.
thank you im trying its has  been a very hard 3 months of stress ...what can be with my tongue i had all std testing done too only poped for simplex 1  i took 3 test for that as well everything was neg but the simplex1 been to an ent he doesnt think its nothing but its still there and it started maybe 2 weeks the guy any clue
also forgot to add its on my right back of the tongue and  one lymph node in neck is swollen on the right side and i had problems with my right eye when it started
It doesn't matter,your test results are conclusive and final,you don't have HIV and therefore the symptoms aren't related.
do you know what it can be
No idea,ask your doctor,all I can tell you is that it has nothing to do with HIV.
thank you
Sorry to bother everyone again I'm stressing over the hiv scare I had I'm reading online one place says 3 months another says 6months  another say 1 year but the paper I got from being tested from the health dept says 2 months I was neg 3 times and the last at 86 days I just got tested bc of life inc this will b 14 weeks and I'm scared again my test is going to change how long would it take from a ab test to show 100% of being hiv free? again I kno am oding over this but I'm scared over it
Stop reading those sites and stick to what the CDC and FDA say.3 months is final and conclusive.
I had to take a test yesterday for life inc it would of been 99 days I'm waiting in that ....y do site say 6 months for so my 86 day test by mouth was 100%
Yes,it was 100% conclusive,there is no such window period as 6 Months.
* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusively negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusively negative results or a no-risk situation will be based upon the criteria established by MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.
you are over stress about this incident,l guess u have to seek a mental help and starting enjoying your life,i had it once like u 5months with 18 hiv testing with different kit.
believe me testing 3months is enough isnt worth to test at 6month.
i hope u can enjoy your life stop stressing and browsing about hiv.
I agree with rvin86,3 Months is enough,6 Months is outdated.This forum has nothing left to offer you except to say maybe join the OCD forum here at medhelp for your anxiety.
6months:
-wasting your time
-wasting your money
-wasting your moment with your friend
-wasting all your health(stressing can cause damage to your brain if u keep continue stressing for nothing)
-i hope u dont seek help with a mental doctor because is wasting your money,if u can control it just listen to the music,playing a games,hanging out with your friend.
i guess thats my last advice for u.
thank u guys i am on lexapro bc of all this i just thought to speak to to guys bc even a dr told me 6 months
That doctor has got his/her head stuck in 2003.If the haven't noticed it's 2012 now.The HIV window period has been 3 Months for the last 9 years.
believe rainlover71 there is no such 6month window period.
thank u guys u make me feel about better im am still waiting on my 14 week test should be back by thu
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban. .

Enough is enough.

If you want to post your results when you get them, that's fine, but we don't have anything else we can add.  Every time you post to your thread, it bumps other people's threads down the page.  Give other people a chance to get THEIR questions answered too.  You've received MORE than your fair share of advice here.
I take that back, there is actually no need to post your test results, they will be negative as you've already gotten a conclusive result.  Time for you to move on.