HIV Prevention Community
negative test results but still worried

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

negative test results but still worried

Hi, i'm a 21 year old female and there was an incident where i had unprotected sex with a male though nothing was excreted as i made him stop. It was a horrible experience and i went to my local GUM clinic and was tested for everything, including HIV, over 3 weeks after exposure. I didn't experience any signs of infection though i did have a stomach bug around the time of testing after going to a music festival. I just got the results back and the nurse said everything is negative but my bloodwork was apparently a little strange so they tested it numerous times and it was still negative for HIV. She said there is nothing to worry about and i am negative but i should still have a test at 3 months. I am a very anxious person anyway, so now i am worried. Do they just tell you to have a blood test at 3 months to cover their backs? or am i at risk still? She said my blood has been sent to lots of labs and all the tests were negative so if its been tested lots of times can i calm down a bit? Sorry if this question is whiney, I just don't feel able to talk to my mum or friends about this.
3 months post--exposure will be fully conclusive.All the best.
Thanks, places on the internet say that 6 weeks are almost conclusive, so should i have another one this week (which will be 6 weeks) for better peace of mind?
4 weeks with an HIV DUO test is excellent and 6 weeks with an antibody test is excellent aswell.
the official guidelines state that 3 months post exposure yields a conclusive result...but a test at 6 weeks will give you a very good "indication" of your status and is unlikely to change at that point.
thank you to both of you. i'm having a really tough time as it was beyond my control and i feel extremely violated but can't seem to talk to my parents about it without them wanting me to report to the police etc and i don't want that to happen. i just needed somebody to respond just as a calming influence if anything. i just hope i'm healthy, all i want is to be able to get married and have children and live a normal life.
You should be fine--I would report him if he forced himself upon you.
in the grand scheme of things, most ppl don't have hiv...so the odds are definitely with you.  even if he has hiv, an exposure doesn't mean automatic infection.

test at the appropriate time