HIV Prevention Community
odds of contracting HIV from pre-***

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

odds of contracting HIV from pre-***

Could someone please help me with some information!!! Two weeks ago, I stupidly enough had unprotected vaginal sex with this guy. He didn't ejaculate but the next day I still got really worried about it since I overheard him boasting about sleeping around a lot and went to the sex clinic to get on PEP just in case. Since I didn't know the HIV status of the guy, the doctor strongly urged me to contact him to find out so that I didn't have to put up with the strong side-effects of PEP for a whole month in case he wasn't HIV+. So before coming back to the doctor for a review on my intake of PEP I texted the guy asking him if I had anything to worry about to which he replied - 'No, you'll be absolutely fine'. Based on this information the doctor and I agreed that there's no need to continue PEP and I stopped it after 5 days (have to take it continuously for a month, otherwise ineffective). Now, one week later, I find out from by best friend who knows a friend of this guy that he is in fact is HIV positive. I've double checked the information and it is true. The guy lied to me when I asked him. I completely panicked and literally ran to the A&E to get back on PEP which I deep down knew would not help me. Obviously the doctors confirmed that PEP would now be ineffective and whatever I took for 5 days would not help me either. So here I am... scared and panicking. Before I get my results which as I understand will not be 100% accurate until after 6 months I would like to know what my odds are. The guy didn't come inside me but we had penetrative sex for about 5 minutes, plus we had oral sex. Do guys get pre-*** every time during sex? What are the odds of contracting HIV through pre-***? Basically, can someone tell me what chances I have. Also, is it really accurate that taking PEP for 5 days wouldn't have helped me in any way?
Would really appreciate any information.
cheers

PS isn't it unbelievable that someone who knows they have HIV first of all doesn't inform the person they are having sex with, then doesn't insist on wearing a condom and then on top of it lies about it afterwards. As far as I understand that's illegal!!!
You were on PEP then off and you've had a discussion with the Dr. before given PEP then I suppose you asked the Dr. the same questions. Hmmm, I think you are just as much at blame for NOT insisting on the use of a condom. I’m not saying that he wasn’t wrong but you are far from being without blame.
I didn't say I wasn't too blame. Of course I am to blame. I started my story by saying I was stupid which I have been thinking about every minute since I found out. I guess I learned my lesson the hard way, that even the things you think are unimaginable obviously happen (like someone who's aware of being HIV+ and not using a condom) thus my final comment. Don't worry, I feel bad enough.

I did ask the doctor about the risks before I knew his status and the doctor was telling me they were low and was almost discouraging me from taking PEP. When I did find out his HIV status, I only spoke to a nurse who told me starting PEP again wouldn't help and she wasn't knowledgeable enough to give me more information about risks, thus my question.

So an answer would be appreciated.  Thank you.